What can diabetics eat ?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello my mum has diabetes and she is trying to Control it I was wondering what she is allowed to eat cereals and things like that I have looked online but can't seem to find something what she needs. it's all posh stuff I know she's not allowed carbs but I can't seem to find things with out it I know 50/50 bread and brown paste she is allowed buts she can't live off that forever...

Thanks in advance

1 like, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have found the best advice is to eat Low GI (glycemic index - that is the rate at which your body can access the sugars in the food). The best low GI carbs foods are wholemeal bread, pasta, brown basmati rice, quinoa.

as for breakfast cereals - no sugared ones obviously but choose something with oats like no sugar muesli, weetabix(especially the oat one) shredded wheat, porridge.  If she craves a biscuit then have a no sugar oatcake and spread a little peanut or almond butter on it as nut butters have a natural sweetness.  If she craves something sweet then a few raisins, dried apricots or prunes.  Good luck - there is lots of info on the web if you key in the right words!  There are quite a few cookbooks for low GI or Low GL foods.

• Posted

Thank you for your help , some random reason when she was eating maltesers it lowered her diabetes the Dr's was shocked when she stopped eating them it shot back up again it's sounds crazy but it's true I was shocked when I seen the look on the Dr's face
  • Posted

what is this "no sugared ones obviously?" If I eat sugar, I do a little injection to compensate.

• Posted

Why on Earth would you stress your body unnecessarily by eating sugar needlessly in this way?
  • Posted

Hello Paul  well your mum is allowed to eat fruit and veg and she can try porridge for breakfeast but that somes spikes people blood sugar and makes it high,has your mum got a Blood Glucose Meter? so she can test her sugar levels.she can have a little carbs like brown rice  and pasta how about sweet potatoes and brown bread. if either you or your mum go online Facebook have some diabetes sites which are very good and we help and support each other on there and you can get some good advise on there to.
    • Posted

kathleen,you have said well.does it mean a diabetic patient can also eat sweet potatoa?. what about the sugar in it?.
    • Posted

Hello Ricardo,Yes you can eat sweet pototoes has that is natural sugar.
  • Posted

To taffytom - sugar is very addictive and going cold turkey in cutting it out is difficult but once you make the effort you will feel so much better.  I am concerned that you don't take it seriously - a good friend of mine didn't take her diabetes seriously and ended up going blind and died from kidney failure far too young.
  • Posted

Don't eat sugar?   you've got to be kidding, there is sugar in practically everything you eat:   potato, bread, pasta, rice, fruit, carrots, corn, the list is endless.     And yes, the low glymic foods also have sugar - bucket loads of it.   The difference is, high glycemic value foods break down quicker and tend to give quick, sharp spikes in BGLs, low glymeic value foods on the other hand break down slower and tend to keep the BGLs lower and steadier.   That is the oficial version; however, if you care to scrutinise the nutritional information on some foods you'll find some low glycemic foods actually have a higher carb count than some of the high glycemic value foods, white/grain breads are a good example.   Practically all fruits have high glycemic value (remember I said practically all - not all, bananas are good examples of - not), that means they pump your BGL up very high, very quickly.   They also will lower you BGL very low, very quickly on the down slope, does that mean we shouldn't eat fruit? of course not!   Salt is also considered bad for you (high blood pressure and the like), does that mean we shouldn't eat it?   of course not.   Dark chocolate (70%and up) has been shown to have beneficial effects, does that man we should eat bucket loads of it? of course not.   It's all about common sense, we should be eating foods from all the major groups, in other words - a ballanced diet, just pay attention to how much of it you eat, particularly carbs.   The other thing you need to take into consideration is everyone is different, what causes problems for some doesn't with others, this also depends on you medications.   When I was on oral based medications I could not eat bananas they sent my BGL through the roof, despite being of low/medium glycemic value, now I am no longer on oral meds, I can eat them all day long without them affecting me.  Another exampple is bread, white or grain, both have the exact same affect on me, one being no worse than the other, I simply prefer grainy breads.   Common sense and trial and error!
    • Posted

Re salt. After I have been spinning, I usually have to take half a spoonful of raw salt to prevent cramps in the early night. Is there any other solution to my quandary? I often dring Indian tonic water which has quinie it it, which should also help. Any other suggestions please? 

• Posted

Hello Taffytom

Cramping is likely not related to your salt intake. My first thought would be dehydration as being the cause. Drinking more plain water before and after your exercise would be helpful.

Other than that, low potassium is often a contributor to cramps and potassium rich foods would help.

Lill

• Posted

your Line 10 Tony. If u r saying bananas have a low GI, then why do tennis players eat them between games - for fast uplift in glucose?

• Posted

thank you lill83898. In no way am I dehydrated as I drink about 12 weak teas in one day. Perhaps you can tell me a few potassium-rich foods?
    • Posted

Hello

Tea dehydrates because of the caffeine content....often it has more caffeine than coffee.

If you want hydration then drink water. Or water with fresh lemon juice or lime juice.

Potassium rich foods can easily be found by doing an online search.

Lill

• Posted

Hi Taffytom, Herbal teas have listings of caffine and carbs. some have frit others have leaves or roots. I love lemon ginger. Just make sure they fit with your diet, not hard to do at all.

The potassium levels of food I have read that kiwi fruit is the highest even above oranges and bananas are the three highest. I am pretty sure your Dr. Can check your levels. Good luck to you.

• Posted

Low calicum is also a contributor to muscle cramps Dark leafy greens can help perhaps.
    • Posted

Sure.

There are many things that can cause muscle cramps. And sometimes the causative factor is not always identifiable.

There are also muscle spasms, which people mistakenly refer to as cramps.

Lill

• Posted

I am just saying it is one of the common ones that is easy to try and relieve pain if it works. Did not infer the only cause just offering one of many solutions but a easy one to try and of course the Dr. Should always be the choice to ask.
    • Posted

I eat lots of veg, including dark green. I eat no processed food. I cramp after exercise because I do it strenuously. A halfspoon of salt at 10pm solves my admittedly rare problem.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.