I've just had a colonoscopy

Posted , 6 users are following.

had colonoscopies since i was 30 years old at City hospital Nottingham due to family history,im 43 this year and the last 3 have been so painful!! had one today 11am home by 1pm and i was promised no pain,on 5mg of midazolam and 50 of pathidine only half way rounf crying in pain like the last two,guttered that yet again they have not got all the way round for my piece of mind, City hospital is behind therefore i went to Woodthorpe hospital Nottingham, lovely stafff explained on the phone my concern she said to tell the consultant before consent and i did expecting more sadation should i wake in agony,i desperate for a clear round i have two small children i want piece of mind, well no!! half way round given nothing extra for the pain and have been left in tears and a note saying i have a low pain threshold!! err No i have given birth to a child i think my pain threshold is fine! in the report i was given nothing for the pain mid treatment no option but to say Stop!! what do they expect???as i say ive had loads of these done and never felt anything like it why now? cut back on the drugs? he said "i have anxiety " yes i do (after two failed attemps and you promised me no pain!) why would i continue to take awful medince strave myself for them to do nothing when im in pain???

i have two small children and i need to know im clear of risk!! what do i do now? guttered upset and at a loss feeling like its my fault this procedure is not working out!! anybody got any advice??

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi I too had a similar experience, I was give 5mg of midazolam only. The pain I experienced made me scream out for them to stop. My pain threshhold isn't low as I had 3 large babies & am only 5ft tall. From the on they couldn't get rid of me quick enough, which surprised me as the info i received said if I chose sedation I would have to stay up to 2 hours. I've had more reaction to taking a co-codomol,whereas I didn't feel any effect. I even walked back home.

They referred me for a CT scan which was a far more bearable experience & has put my mind at rest results wise.

• Posted

Hi thank you for your reply , I'm just gutted to have gone through the prep and to be none the wiser, the last three times has been somewhere different and the sme not fully complete, even though I have said if I wake in pain give me more sedation I want you to get all the way round but no! I even told the doctor today and he still didn't do anything just feel let down , I'm going 

to take this further and demand ga, did you have to go private for your ct scan? Did it show everything? What happens then if you have poylips?Return for surgery? Sorry just wondering how a ct scan would work? Going to get loads of info and chuck it at them they shouldn't be allowed to egnore my concerns for a third time,it's my kids I do it for I need to be safe for them not leave it and get cancer like my dad and aunties,he said today have you gone through genetic screening yes I filled the forms in and heard nothing!! My twin has to wait till December for hers they are so far behind,mine today was a private hospital doing it on behalf of the city hospital lovely service from the nursing staff but no good if the bloody dr don't listen to you it wasn't like it was my first one been having them for 12 years!! Xx

• Posted

Hi Niki:

I'm here in the states & am going to seminar on colonoscopies as March here in the states is national colorectal cancer awareness month.

I'm going to ask why a drug called Remifentanil a potent, short-acting synthetic opioid isn't used regularly for pain mitigation.

No matter who you are or where you are being tested they shold do the best possible job to get every patient thru the test with the least amount of pain.

I won't do the test using midazolam due to memory concerns that why I'm looking into Remifentanil.

Regards,

Raffie

• Posted

Hi thanks for your reply,to be honest I'm just gutted that I'm not none the wiser if I'm clear of poylips or not,the sedation before was OK you'd feel the camera coming out at the end of the procedure but they would give you extra sedation to make you comfortable, it seams they have made cut backs expecting us to grin and bare it, I'm taking it further I want answers as to why after 12 years of having it done has the last three been a nightmare? What's changed? It's not me I take the medicine ect, good luck with the seminar 
  • Posted

Demand a general anaesthetic!

I feel for you. I have two tiny children too and two sessile serrated polyps (pre-malignant) were incidentally found and removed during my 1st colonoscopy last month. The recommendation (through the public system) is to go back for my next in five years. Surgeon told me 'off the record' if he were me, he'd be going back in 12 months for another as there is 'always a margin of error and there is always a possibility some may be missed.

So I'm taking his advice. I'm having to fund that procedure myself ($2350) but I'm seeking full peace of mind.

Being a mother changes everything, doesn't it. Sh*t gets very real, as they say. Be your own best advocate! Good luck xx

• Posted

Its left me feeling really low,like they just don't care when I voiced my concerns they said they would try and accomadate they did nothing like  the previous two did but expect me to starve for two days take the medicine which  is hurendes  in itself which I did for them to no hold on to there part of the bargain, then to right on my report low pain threshold they might to try it themselves 

and see how it feels thanks for your reply going to request ga next time end of ! Xx

• Posted

hi hun 

when i had 3 polyps removed i had to go back in 12 mths if it was a clear round they would leave 3 years, its been 7 years since i had a clear round sad left it with the consultant secatary and ill be chasing it up as no responce so far!! just dont need the stress, feel upset as i know a girl of age 24 full bowl removal as not screening early enough!!  gp saying its something else for a long time its been missed, if i dont get anywhere with nhs it looks a private booking for me too xx

• Posted

Hi nikki

i have had 5 colonoscopies since 2004, at the royal london hospital, and i must say they all procedures went well with little or no pain during or after. However i was very surpprised that my recent colonoscopy was done bt an "endosopic nurse"..and not ny a doctor. I did question this and she explained that she was fully trained and had done many procedures. She did say i could have the consultant do it if i wish but in a situation like that i didn`t really like to over ride her. She did say the consultant would be in the room all the time monitoring the screen (he actually went out of the operating room a couple of times). During the colonoscopy 4 polyps were removed but at one stage the endoscopy nurse had to ask someone to go and get the consultant to help identify a polyp. Overall it was the most thorough colonoscopy i have ever had, there was no bleeding, no pain and 4 polyp s were removed, i was generally satisfied with the procedure. BUT there is no substitute for experience and i would have preferred it if the consultant had done it. When i was gived the final results form it said that the consultant was the "trainer" for my colonoscopy. I feel that this should have been made clear beforehand although i was given the choice of the consultant to do it, so i cant really moan. Please be advised that having looked on google that specially trained nurses doing colonoscopies is a common things in hospials around the world now...and in the uk it has been introduced to help cut screening waiting list time. So next time you have one don`t` be surprised if it is performed by a young 25 year old nurse!

• Posted

hi hun

yes mine was done by a nurse but she wasnt autherised to give me any more sedation which in so much  discomfort it was abandoned sad last one i had done was done a consultant and again he didnt give me any more either?? never had a problem in all the years of having them till the last 6 years 2 unsucessful rounds why? so no responce from consultant secatary so im chasing it again just fed up want peice of mind might have to go private have to young children i want to be safe,glad yours went ok as in pain free will you go back in 12 mths now then? have 4 removed? i dont really mind who does it prefer a consultant but as long as the keep to their end of the bargin xx

• Posted

Hi Nikki

Next time why don`t you ask for a "VIRTUAL COLONOSCOPY"....?. You still have to do the prep to the clear the bowel but no instruments are put inside you....so it shouldn`t be painful and no sedation/painkiller required...i think? (look it up on google"). The only downside to this is that they wouldn`t be able to remove any polyps, but at least it would identify them for future removal. I am being monitored by the genetics service and they do regular tests for the CA marker etc and they reccomend for me to have colonoscopies every 2 years, which i am comfortable with... hope you get on ok...regards!...Dimmy

• Posted

Hi Nikki just wanted to let you know I went yesterday for a

colonoscopy, and I noticed I did not have the same sedation as

in the past , I had my first one in 2009, I was only there for

2 hours 15mins, I did feel more pain than previously, in the past I felt nothing, I came out feeling as though I hadn't been

sedated at all, but I did have it completed and I was all clear, but I am now concerned about any future ones I will need, I would be very interested to hear what other people think of the sedation now

• Posted

hi hun

made me laugh when i walked in nurse asked"do you want sudation?" er yes!! it clearly wasnt enough i cant discribe the pain also the sedation they use leaves you loss of memory so have no idea if i was screeming or what i said, im upset having consultant has not listern to my concerns in the begining im going for a ga sorry if thats more work for them but i was only asking to be pain free, if you not its going to so pain full it puts you off going knowing that taking the prep and starving is going to be a compleate waste of every ones time! sad GA from now on i need a clear round for peice of mind xx

• Posted

Hi Nikki, the doc who was doing the colonoscopy said you seem

very definate about what u want, I was making sure I had it done by someone experienced and I got my sedation, I was so glad I read on this forum about all the changes and it's only been 18 months since I had a flexible signoidscopy, I wasn't allowed sedation at all for that, when it got bad I had gas and air that didn't work at all, I dread to think of what other cutbacks are coming in the future

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.