Sjogren's and teeth?

Posted , 5 users are following.

OK, I thought I'd muddy the waters a bit here.

We all know that the dry mouth of Sjogren's syndrome can have a devastating effect on teeth. But have any of us had experience of dental problems bringing on SS?

I've been doing a lot of reading lately on the question of root canal procedures bringing on degenerative diseases and even breast cancer(!) I'm sure most people on here already know the theory behind this but I'll re-state a simplified version anyway. The idea is that it's impossible to sterilise the dead cavity left behind after the nerve is removed, and once it's sealed with a crown, anaerobic bacteria start growing in there, and migrate to the bloodstream.

Now, I had a badly botched root canal on a molar in my lower jaw in 1995, and that was the year my SS symptoms started. I never ceased to have problems with the tooth after that, culminating in a nasty abscess in 2007. I ended up as an emergency in maxillo-facial outpatients over that one. The surgeon who finally removed the tooth and scraped away the infected bone confirmed what I'd long suspected - that the tooth had been broken through the root either before, or during the process of, the root canal. Needless to say, I changed dentists after that.

Later that year, my SS started the slow process of going into a remission that was more or less complete two years later and lasted about six years after that. I'm just recovering now from the first flare-up since then, which has lasted nearly a year. However, this flare-up hasn't been nearly as bad as the original attack of SS. It's tempting to make a connection with the root canal.

However... I'm not totally convinced that that's the whole story. I suspect my SS is secondary (though that's never been confirmed by a doctor) as I had a very severe attack of RA in my mid-30s, 15 years before my first SS symptoms. This came out of the blue, and was seriously disabling while it lasted. It started suddenly in my right hip while I was out walking one day, and within a few weeks had spread to both hips, knees, big toes and hands. For a couple of weeks I could barely get out of bed, and had to be signed off work. I had the great good fortune to be put in touch with a homeopathic rheumatologist (who was a medical doctor too) who cured me with homeopathic remedies and dietary advice. I continue to have occasional problems with my joints, but nothing like that first attack.

But that may also have been tooth-related, albeit not root canal. Six years before the RA attack, and just before I left the UK for good, I had a small filling in an upper molar. I was in severe discomfort afterwards, and could feel a lump on the outside of my gum, just above the tooth, which was clearly a piece of filling that had been shoved up between the tooth and the gum. (I'm afraid I don't seem to be very good at picking dentists!) I went back repeatedly, only to be fobbed off each time, and after a couple of months a large piece of filling duly worked its own way out.

The same year the RA struck, I had the first attack of pain in the badly filled tooth. For the next 10 years I had intermittent attacks of severe toothache and mild sinusitis. I saw five dentists in two different countries during that time, all of whom X-rayed the tooth and could find nothing wrong. Finally, after a severe attack of sinusitis on that side (fever, swollen face, one eye closed, foul-smelling nasal discharge) my doctor referred me to the hospital, where it was discovered that there was a hidden infection in the inside root of the tooth, which isn't visible on a normal X-ray. The tooth was extracted, with great difficulty as it had become ankylosed into the socket by the infection, and a deep curetage of the infected bone performed. I was told I was very lucky the infection hadn't broken through the bone into the maxillary sinus.

Not sure what to deduce from all this - apart from the fact that rubbish dentists exist on both sides of the Channel! - but it's tempting to suspect that most of my auto-immune troubles might have originated in my teeth.

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I think the stress of everything you went through could have brought on ss.
    • Posted

Yes, you could be right. I didn't feel mentally stressed-out by any of this but I suppose having repeated infections in the tooth root and eventually the bone over a 10-year period would have caused a degree of physiological stress, as well as putting my immune system on constant red alert.

The reason for raising this point is that on the one recent occasion I had to have a tooth filled, my dentist commented that I have "rheumatic teeth". Apparently he hit up against a calcification in the pulp cavity (he called it a pulpolith) which took a long time to drill through. He said this often occurs in people with rheumatic conditions, as the teeth are actually a kind of joint - something I didn't know.

This would also tie in with the barbaric practice of treating RA by pulling out all the patient's teeth, even when they were still healthy. This was still going on when I was a child in the 1940s and 50s. I remember my grandmother and one of my great-aunts going through it!

• Posted

You have had some awful luck with dentists. As to a connection between.that and SS, I can only say that I've had Sjogren's for decades and have never a root canal or an abscess.

• Posted

Hi Lily - thank you for sharing. It's helpful to hear your journey. It's hard to say which came first but my take is that SS made your teeth issues worse. Mainly because you had symptoms early on. Good luck to you. Tracy.

• Posted

Hi Lily ~

Thank you for sharing your story with us.  You have gone through so much!  I hope things do turn around for you and soon!

Regarding SS and teeth.  I have SS and Sarcoid and both effect the teeth, more SS than Sarcoid.  I have to go in soon and I'm so afraid he'll tell me I have to have all replaced.  I brush my teeth faithfully along with flossing but that's just not enough when your mouth is so dry your lips stick to your gums...ick, I know.

I will come back after seeing the dentist and let you know the results.  Again, I wish you all good and smiling pretty!

Frustrated61

• Posted

Funny you should say that - last Thursday morning I tripped over in the street and totally smashed up my mouth.rolleyes Not Sjogren's related, but I'm certainly not smiling pretty right at the moment! Am definitely going to lose one front tooth and am still waiting for things to settle down a bit to see whether the other three are going to make it.

Still, it could have been worse. Fortunately I don't have a lot of problems with dry mouth, well not these days anyway, so that isn't going to complicate dental treatment unnecessarily.

I don't mind so much about the one that's going to have to come out as it's in my top jaw, where I've already had a denture for 60 years, so having a plate with two teeth on it instead of one won't make too much difference. However, I'm dreading having to lose the two bottom front teeth, as I know lower dentures are much more troublesome. Keeping everything crossed in the hope they'll tighten up again!

Really hoping you don't get bad news about your teeth too. Must be awful having a dry mouth all the time. I only had six months of that lips-sticking-to-gums thing, and that was when it all started 22 years ago. After that the mouth dryness improved and started being replaced by other symptoms. I realise I've been let down really lightly by SS when I hear stories like yours.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.