diverticulitis triggers

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have had 4 flareup doctor said I have Diverticula inflamation after colonocopy. 

On all four flareups I ate the same thing. 

I was curious why eating pizza would cause this all 4 times. I know its not the sauce of chesse as I always have that. The only thing else is the crust.

So how can pizza crust cause this problem

Does anyone know why?

I never had a problem eating other foods.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Gary,

​Are you sure its not the cheese because I have heard from others that cheese can cause a flare up.  The grease in the cheese could possible be the problem. I haven't personally had a problem with cheese but I have had issues with the grease from foods that are fried. Was this just a cheese pizza? I can't see the crust causing a problem either.

• Posted

Hello Gary

as a fellow sufferer I found out the hard way, flare ups, if I eat a Pizza.

I have since learned from fellow sufferers the Tomatoe sauce was the cause of mine, the Pips.

Tomatoes is one of the Veg/Fruit that a lot of DD suffers avoid like the plague.

The pips get stuck in the Colon.

Hope this helps

• Posted

I don't think its the sauce as I have tomato sause a lot and never have a problem. Al I can think of id the crust maybe because its hight gluten?
  • Posted

You obviously enjoy "Flares". ever thought about eating anything else but 

pizza ?? 

Tomatoes are no problem if you skin and deseed them. The flour may be a 

problem ,causes me to bloat ,so I leave alone. Chew everything really well,

mush it before you swallow . 

• Posted

Yes, no more pizza for me, was just wondering what it was. I think maybe the flour. 
    • Posted

It may be, you now have a lifetime of checking what you put in your 

mouth. I have found that the foods I really enjoyed ,are now my worst enemies. I know Iv'e already said it, but CHEW and eat slowly,

• Posted

Hi Gary... it could be a number of different bits on the pizza that could trigger it.  Could be the gluten in the pizza base - the lactose in the cheese - the grease - and if it was a spicey tomato sauce -  onions have always done me in but I still love them... While on holiday I had a few chips.. well let's say I paid for them - dearly.  They didn't seem greasy at the time and downed with a nice cold half pint which I hadn't had in ages and ages - they were bliss - but they even did hubby in too and he's not been diagnosed with anything soooo...  It may be a combination of all things all at once that triggers it or just one thing or.  I've been meaning to try some of the SW recipes on the net for pizza so I can control what goes into and on them - might be an option if you love pizza!!! :-)  

Val

BTW also with DD, I've been diagnosed with IBS and colitis (which started from food posioning!) and as a lover of my food - it has made it a real challange!

• Posted

Don't know where your pizza came from, but on some of them it is not real cheese but 'cheese substitute' whatever that may be.  It is some artificial substance that is far cheaper than cheese and probably highly indigestible.  If you are usually ok with cheese, this may be the reason for the upset
  • Posted

I think you could probably add the salami to the list of things that contributed, Smokey bacon and processed meats can be a trigger.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.