gp suggested increasing amitriptyline dose from 100 mg to 150 mg...... any experience or advice?

Posted , 2 users are following.

for both anxiety and depression due to health circumstances and family stresses 😔.

anxious about such a jump. have been on amitriptyline 75mg for years, increased to 100mg a few weeks ago and feeling worse. should i know within a day or two if 150mg is for me?

any advice or experience would be reassuring

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I took amitryptaline for about 20 years 100 mg. I had really good luck with the meds. I developed tardive Dynskensia a few months ago. I am off of it now due to this nervous condition. If you go up to 150 mg be aware that you could also get this nervous condition. There are a lot more modern drugs that could work for you. Amitryptaline is an older drug, though it does work I would shy away from 150, a very high dose. Even 100 mg was considered high. I wish I knew about developing Tardive Dynskensia from taking amitryptaline. It might not ever go away.
    • Posted

hi donna93203, thanks for your reply. oh my goodness, and do you attribute this entirely to amitriptyline? i really hope you get relief from this condition very soon
    • Posted

Yes I do attribute it to taking amitryptaline. I looked it up on the Internet and talked with my doctor about it. Since I'm not taking it now, the lip licking and nail clicking and other things I was doing has gotten better. It isn't all gone yet, but it has only been two weeks. It takes 21 days for amitryptaline to get out of your system so I'm hopeful for a complete recovery.
    • Posted

that's terrible donna93203, i really hope you make a full recovery, you have been very brave!
  • Posted

hi, just hoping anyone could help me or advise please. have been on amitriptyline 75mg for years, recently increased to 100mg and now had my 2nd night on 150mg. my sleep through the nite has improved but with early morning waking. feeling very vulnerable and anxious this morning, im either up and doing 50 things at once or crashed on sofa with this feeling of adrenaline.....

Is this normal!? when will fade? anyone experience similar...... 😟😔

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.