Hydrocele surgery

Posted , 5 users are following.

I an currently on the waiting list to have surgery I've got 6.5 cm hydrocele on my right side

Any advice for after care would be most appreciated

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Rest and ice as much as possible.
    • Posted

I intend to do absolutely nothing for the first week except for maybe venture to the toilet and go downstairs
    • Posted

Your scrotum will swell bigger than the original hydrocele and may become very bruised don't be alarmed though it is normal.
    • Posted

codeine will be my friend for a week or so then
    • Posted

Hydrocodone was my friend for the first 2 weeks if you already don't have some invest in some tighty whiteys they will help with support and swelling.
    • Posted

I quit taking the hydrocodone 48 hours after surgery because of severe constipation, which is normal with this drug. Codeine causes constipation too.  Ice relieves the pain, and more importantly, lessens the swelling, which is really the goal.  Ice is now my best friend, he's just not as fun.
  • Posted

Hi

I am going in for surgery in a few weeks. Just wondering if it has had any impact on your fetility to date?

Thanks

• Posted

How long did it take the swelling to go down ?

Because that's part of the problem. I drive fur a living and sitting in a car for hours on end gives me back aches and dead legs

• Posted

To get where it is now (still about the size of a golf ball and I had surgery in December of 2014) it took about 3 months. The major swelling lasted about a month but continued to decrease and stabilized at about the 3 month mark.
    • Posted

None that I have noticed, it's been two years since my op and I can honestly say I'm completely back to normal as if I hadn't even had it done great feeling hope yours is successful and smooth recovery 
    • Posted

i too had this concern, but from everything I read and everyone I talk to, neither Hydroceles nor Hydrocele surgery cause infertility.  The concern is that it's a sensitive region & the surgeon could have an accident or mistake and cut or remove something that he shouldn't, which in reality is very unlikely.  Do your due diligence and find an experienced surgeon in this field.  Depending on the size of your city, Google or Yelp can be a good place to start.
  • Posted

Hi I was just very carfull and kept the area very clean once healed there was no further problem I used a tight pair of y fronts, no bonking for about 6 weeks
    • Posted

Hi John,

I am going in for surgery in a few weeks. Just wondering if it has had any impact on your fetility before op?

Thanks

• Posted

i think the bonking part is very important and where a lot of guys screw up -pun intended.  Yet, you'll never hear anybody say it.  As a matter of fact, I asked the surgeon the first time I had this surgery and he said sex isn't a problem afterwards.  He must've misunderstood because think about it.  How are most Hydroceles caused?  Through trauma and injury.  Now I don't do a lot of trick f-ing, but even during the missionary position, the balls get a flapping and that can't be good post op.  I really think that was an other thing I did wrong in recovery that caused my Hydrocele to return. I bonked too soon after surgery.  This time I'm going to wait at least 6 weeks, if not longer.  Thanks for mentioning that important part of the recovery John.
    • Posted

6 weeks to 2 months..... Unless you're about 18 which is a lot to ask.... It will have to be a little bash of the old bishop lol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.