Colonoscopy stopped for twisted ascending colon

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had a colonoscopy last week.  The dr. had to stop the procedure because of a twisted ascending colon.   Now I need to prep again and have a CT scan.  Has anyone had this problem?   What do I need to know?  Is this the cause of all the bloat I am carrying?  Thanks.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lesley, I too am waiting for a CT scan as the colonoscopy couldn't be completed because of severe pain.  They say I had diverticular pockets though.  The waiting is the worst part, I just want to know if there is anything else as I have a hiatus hernia too.  

Good luck with your CT scan though.

• Posted

Thanks... mine is next week.  Please let me know your results.  I am not in pain, just a lot of bloating.   Good luck also.
  • Posted

Hi Lesley

Can`t help with the twisted colon...but when you say you are having  to "prep" for a CT scan i realised you must be having a VIRTUAL COLONOSCOPY. This is a special CT scan where air is pumped into the bowel for easier viewing on the CT scanner and this type of scan is more effective for seeing bowel disease, problems etc. than a normal CT scan. Hope all goes well....

• Posted

One of my colonoscopies was stopped due to pain... and the doctor ordered a Virtual Colonoscopy.  I read about them and decided not to do it because if they find polyps they still have to go back in and remove them (a third prep!)  So in the end I talked to the doctor and he agreed to try the "regular" colonoscopy again under general anaesthetic.  It worked fine.  
    • Posted

Thanks for the info... I am hoping there are no polyps, because there were none in the rest of the colon.  I am just concerned about this twisted colon.

Hoping I dont need surgery to untwist.  Thanks

• Posted

I had a friend who had this. He had it manipulated a large number of times but it kept twisting again. He had surgery last year and it has now cleared completely and he is 79. The symptoms can actually be agonising but I am sure would be bound to cause at least bloating etc. I gather sometimes the correction does not twist again; sometimes it does a couple of times and sometimes it just won't stop unless you have an intervention. My friend's colon was unusually long and he was told at 13 that it might become troublesome in older age as it did. If there is no particular reason it twisted it might just be a one off. It's a nuisance but ok if you live reasonably near a hospital but not a potential problem to take on an Antarctic expedition. Hope yours is just a one off!
    • Posted

Twisted colon if occurring more than once can become intractable unless corrected by surgery. I have a 78 year old friend who had exactly the same experience and over 20 manipulations. He kept on so long because he cannot take general anaesthetic but in the end had surgery under local anaesthetic (John Radcliffe in Oxford) and is fine now.
  • Posted

Had same situation so my doc sent me for a virtual colonoscopy. The test failed too! Ugh! The scan could not see the inside of the real twisty parts. Now I have to go for another colonoscopy even though doc not confident it will work since it didn't before. So frustrated. Good luck to you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.