Pharyngeal Pouch with a Post Nasal Drip

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I have been suffering with coughing, choking etc and nasal drip since last October. After so many visits to the Doctors being told it is Asthma and stomach acid eventually I got them to refer me to the Hospital and after months of waiting got an appointment on January 4th and had the Camera down my throat and was given a Nasal wash with a follow up for a Barrium swallow test and scan again a long wait until February 12th when the Radiographer told me that I have got a large Pharyngeal Pouch. Still waiting for a follow up with the Consultant (not just typed up the results!). I suffer with on going Post Nasal Drip and find it hard to sleep. Can anyone give me some of their experiences with this problem please. I would dread surgery as last year had day surgery for Haemorhoids and had to have a further operation with 2 futher admittances bleeding and unconcious (nearly dying twice) and 4 pints of blood. I am now really sacred of operations. Can anyone offer any advice and help on all this. It will be gratefully received.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Cannot off any advice; just giving you a star because it sounds like you are suffering.  Maybe there is another page on this site about similar problems; as this page is generally all about gut things so you may not get anyone who has your symptoms.  Have a search for the other topic headings and try posting your query again on another page.
    • Posted

Thanks Christine. I thought it was a page for Pharyngeal Pouch. I will try to see if I can list elsewhere but not sure.
  • Posted

hi margaret . i have a pharyngeal pouch which was operated on oct  2013 using the dohlmans precedure .it was only a small one but the consultant stapled it anyway.i had the same symptoms as you including swallowing problems. i was living on soup and croissants as i couldnt eat anything else so i lost a lot of weight. do you have eating /weight loss problems? when you choke do you cough up food or phlegm? i also had sleeping problems, always waking up choking.i also have other medical problems which are respiratory in nature .. since the operation i am on anti acid meds permanently . i note you posted 3 months ago i would like to hear how things have developed for you since

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.