Starting Cipralex again

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was on Cipralex for 4 years and decided to go off last Spring. By November I was starting to get depressed again, but I put off going back on Cipralex because I always expereince side effects. Things got worse and I started get bouts of high anxiety along with depression and compulsve thoughts. So--back on the meds as of 2 days ago--nausea is tolerable but I have become VERY anxious, which I gather is not uncommon. It seems so weird that a drug that's supposed to help you deal with anxiiety actually makes you anxious. Anyone out there got some encouraging words for me? Feeling pretty lost and alone (despite good friends and family and docs).

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hello Sarah. I just started Lexapro and the first week to 9 days was terrible. But, once you get thru that week it starts to gey much much better. Just hang in there, you can do this! Than once you get thru hell week you'll be in your way again.
  • Posted

Hi Sarah. I don't know about others but I can share the side effects I faced.

I started Cipralex (10mg) last November because I had severe panic attacks and nausea, they made each other worse.

The first 5 days on Cipralex were a nightmare... As soon as I woke up I felt unbelievable anxiety without even knowing why. I was sure it was the pill so I called my doctor and with some searching I found out that it can happen. This is why many people stop taking it after 2-3 days. He told me that things will get better after 5-6 days and lucky for me they did.. It all went away and I am better ever since.

However my doctor prescribed me some Xanax (0,5mg) to take if I thought things were getting out of hand during the first days and they really saved me. After the 5th day of Cipralex I stopped Xanax and I haven't taken any since then.

I am not encouraging you to take Xanax because I hate them (family history) but if you think you can't deal with the side effects of Cipralex I suggest you talked to your doctor about it.

• Posted

Thanks so much. I have some clonazepam, which is similar to Xanax, I think. I'll use it until the anxiety calms down--I think I can make it 5-6 days--but then I have to raise the dosage (from 5-10). Ugh. 
  • Posted

Mike is rt. I have Klonapin or Clonazapame. It's long acting. Xanax is short acting. I took it at beginning of taking Prozac. Anxiety was hideous. It usually is in the beginning. But should level out. No shame in getting med help to knock down the anxiety a little. I took generic of Lexapro but was only on 10mg. It wasn't helping with my low moods so stopped. Should have gone up on mg. I stopped Prozac cause it was making me very sick. So prob going to try Lexapro again in another mth or 2. Hang in there. Just remember that these meds react different on different people. Give it a good 4-5 wks.
    • Posted

I'm up to 2 mg of Xanax 3 times a day helps with anxiety but not depression I know it doesn't but anything health related scares the crab out of me I thought when I first took lexapro it was a god send but I guess the effects didn't last long idk I just feel so lost
    • Posted

Thanks, Zio. All this encouragement really helps.
    • Posted

O just started Lexapro and I have read a lot on it. I have ready many times of meds like this stop working. Most the tome people talk to their doctor and increase the dose. How long have you been on Lexapro?
    • Posted

You might need to go up on mg. How much do you take of Lexapro an how long on it? Don't feel alone. I know that's hard to say but I felt same way an its the med trying to work I guess. Why do we have to feel so much worse to feel better?? Ugggg....prozac really made me think I was bi-polar! One minute crying then severe anxiety then mad an yelling. Now off for 18 days an Im not doin that. Just starting to kinda feel blue again. Im also in menopause so that doesn't help! On hormones for 11 months but doses had to be adjusted of one of the estrogens cause I had bleeding. Make sure your hormones an throid are ok. I dont know how old you are. Im 47. Hang in there.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.