Length of sick leave after bunions surgery

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello I had operation on both feet to remove bunions about 8 weeks ago ; still off work and feet swollen and painful ; it id very difficult to walk even with trainers and very slow !

Dur to go back to work mid april but worried i wont be quite ready , am a teacher and stand most of the day and walk between buildings of school and also going up lots of stairs !

Has anyone got experience of this , is it me who should ask gp for sick leave extension ?

Thanks

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

At 8 weeks my feet were still very swollen I thought they would never go down! I started physio and got some extra wide pumps from Evans . Once I started physio I came on leaps and bounds. Have faith. You will probably have to sit more at work your doctor will keep you off work if needs be. Don't worry it will get better. I wore my big pumps till about month 4. I love my feet now. Wish I'd had this op years ago. You have to be patient total recovery takes about 10 months.
    • Posted

Thanks Bev , nobody has even mentioned physiotherapy to me ?And what sort of pumps ? Canvas?
    • Posted

Just regular cheap canvas pumps as wide as you can get.
    • Posted

Hi Bev, I am at week 9 and fear my foot will never return to normal.

Do you think I should go to my gp and ask for phisio? My sick note

Runs out in 2 weeks and there is no way I can go back to work

as a postwoman

• Posted

Don't panic! All will be well. I had three months off work because of having both done at same time it's a bit debilitating . At weeks 9 & 10 I thought my feet would never be good again. My doc told me to take a ten day course of anti inflamitories to prevent chronic inflammation. Keep your feet up at every opportunity . When I went back to work I was still wearing sneakers that were a size too big but then summer arrived and I was able to wear nice sandals. This is a 12 month process. Worth it though.
    • Posted

injury to feet always swells more than other areas. It is very normal. After 12 months mine now only swell under normal conditions like heat and standing for too long.
    • Posted

By the way I would not fancy a posties round so soon. Defo extended sick note and/or office duties to ease you back in. Your feet will really ache if you walk too long. Ask your doc about inserts for your shoes so you don't undo the good work.
    • Posted

Hi Bev, thanks for that. Its nice to know that others thought they would never be right again but are now at the other end of the process and doing fine. Its a shame my surgeon said that I should be able to go back to work after 6 to 10 weeks because that gave me very false hope and expectations. I walk 10 miles a day in my job, 5 days a week. I am due back at doctors in 2 weeks and he is definitely going to have to give me another sick note. I would rather have been signed off for a couple of months than keep handing in new ones. After how many weeks off did you go back to work?. I will be able to do office duties when I do go back but from what I have seen, you get bullied into getting back out there as soon as they get stuck.
    • Posted

I was off work for 12 weeks and I have a sit down office job. Your doc can give you a note that states you are only fit for certain work so they can't bully you into work you aren't fit for. Stick to your guns. It's not worth undoing the work you've had done
    • Posted

Hi Bev, I will do that thanks, due back at docs in 2 weeks. I will definitely be signed off again as still not able to walk anywhere near right. Cheers 👍
  • Posted

Hi Chris

8 weeks is very early still in my experience. I am 13 weeks down the line and still have pain in the ball of my foot when walking.  However, there was a marked improvement between 8- 12 weeks with the swelling.  Make sure you are icing and doing your physio every day.  Good luck

• Posted

After going through 2 separate bunion surgeries I cannot imagine having both at the same time.  I know with my surgeries I was off work for 5 weeks-but I have a sit down job....I think it is up to your doctor to evaluate-but it just depends on your insurance company as well.  Good luck to you-heal fast!
  • Posted

I have not heard of physio therapy either-what exactly is it?
    • Posted

i think physio is very important. My therapist give me exercises to do at home to increase recovery. It prevents stiffness setting in and having a good foot massage helps. I used to hobble in and skip out! I had my op private. If I hadn't I would've gladly paid for the physio bit. You can google some post op exercises to try yourself. But I think the best thing was that the therapist showed me that my big toe wouldn't fall off under pressure😀

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.