Can anyone explain diabetes to me?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi:

Could somebody please explain the symptoms of diabetes.  Is it something you can develop or does it have to be in your gene?  Is it bad to drink a can of regular sprite a day?  I would just like to know on average how much sugar I should be having each day.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

In simple terms

Diabetes is a disease that starts when the pancreas goes over to the dark side.

Either it stops making insulin or not enough. You can inherit a disposition for it but not the disease itself. When your body is working correctly a soda a day is not an issue provided it is not a 2 liter bottle.  The WHO says about 6 teaspoons of sugar a day for men, less for women. Sugar is EVERYWHERE and in almost everything you eat. When my dad was thought to have Big D the Dr then told me to check the first 6 ingredents on the food lable. If sugar was listed he could not have the product. Check corn flakes, it will surprise you.

I suggest at least a yearly blood sugar test with your Dr. talk about the numbers and see if more tests are needed.

Remember this is a guide and everyone's body is different what effects me may not be a problem for you.

• Posted

Hi

you really can't have sugar if your diabetic.   Especially soda. Soda is loaded with sugar. Get yourself a book or go online and educate yourself.  Speak to your doctor.  GET HELP!

• Posted

Do you think you have some symptoms of diabetes, or is it more that you worry you might get diabetes if you have too much Sprite or sugar? Because there is diabetes in my family, I gave up drinking sugary drinks and adding sugar to hot drinks 30!years before I actually developed diabetes. I was also very careful about confectionery, cakes and sweet pastry. 

Also, how old are you? It often makes a difference to what type you may have.

as Sandy says the most important thing is that if you think you have symptoms of diabetes get your blood sugars checked ASAP. Then you can either stop worrying or start managing it.

• Posted

Hi orange,

I agree with the rest concerning contacting a doctor if you think you have any symptoms.

I am a Type One diabetic on an insulin pump.  My pancreas does not produce insulin. (might do just a little bit)  I have no known relatives (for the four generations back) that have had any type of diabetes. I understand that type two diabetes has a stronger genetic link.

The symptoms I experienced before I was diagnosed in the hospital were

- blurred vision

-extreme thirst

-constantly urinating

-dry mouth with funny taste

-leg cramps

-extreme weight loss

I have been diabetic for over 10 years now.  Diabetes is a serious disease but it can be controlled through diet, exercise and the proper medical help.  For me, as a type one that means insulin.

Refined sugar is a definite no, no. If you have any doubts about your health or the health of someone you love, get yourself or your loved one to a doctor. Once diagnosed, you should be monitored by a diabetic team which includes a dietician on the dos and don'ts of sugar.

Hope this helped.  Take care.

Pamela

• Posted

Diabetes Type 1 is a autoimmune disorder, if you have autoimmune then pls get yourself to confirm 
    • Posted

Jaf Real facts is right.  I did plus several blood tests in and out of hospital. 

According to my doctor's blood tests tell more of the story.

Pamela

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.