thinking of giving up meds

Posted , 5 users are following.

I  was ptrescribed lisinoptil around 4 years ago my blood pressure was high and seemed to coincede with the menopause.I started on 5mg ,and because it did,nt have any effect gradually increased to 20mg my blood pressure was still high so l was then put on amlodipine 5mg blood pressure still above that magical figure of 140 so upped to 10mg horrible swollen feet burning calves and aching joints.Doc has said we need to carry on tinkering until we get it right so has prescribed indapamide 2.5mg with amlodapine at 5mg .I do not feel well and have not felt right since starting on meds and am begining to think i would be better of without .My question is can you just have naturaly high blood pressure and live quite happily. I am about a stone overweight ,dont smoke or drink and would exercise more if i didnt feel so sh*t.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Nelly, Amlodipine didn't work for me either - terrible swollen ankles and a rash on my lower legs diagnosed as varicose eczema as a direct result of Amlodipine.  Indapamide also had to be stopped as it caused an immediate large drop in my already reduced kidney function.

If you don't feel well on the drugs you are taking, then they should be stopped and others prescribed in their place until one is found that both works for your blood pressure and on which you feel well.  The latest thinking seems to be that it is better to have patients on low doses of two or three BP meds rather than one of a high dose.  I have been trialled n about 6 different BP pills to date, with many being stopped due to side effects.  Am now on Losartan Potassium 50 (the one my pharmacist says he hears the least complaints about from his patients) and Doxazosin.  The latter is causing a bit of muscle pain if I walk too far but other than that seems ok-ish.

But as to your question as to whether you can just have naturally high blood pressure and live quite happily, the answer is "No" - basically you might feel you are living quite happily but untreated high blood pressure is dangerous and often symptomless.  Do go back to your GP and ask for a different pill until you find one that suits you - please don't just stop.

• Posted

thankyou for your reply Mrs O

at the moment i have stopped all meds .I just dont feel very well at the moment i have been keeping a check on my blood pressure and its not to bad at all in fact its about the same as it was on meds .Im now on a healthy eating plan and once i get myself back on track (i have conjunctivitus and tonsilitus) i will go back to docs my. Doc will have retired by then thank god lol

• Posted

MrsO-UK Surrey, Very good advice, you seem to be getting much more help from your doctor then most of us here, as you see the amount of problems these medication brings with them, it makes me wonder should I go on to natural treatment's, the problem is I don't have the time to keep an eye on its progress, and that would be extremely essential. to know what is happening, it could be between life and death, your blood pressure compared to mine is quite good my one sometimes go up to over 200 it all depends on how much pressure I am under.
    • Posted

Nelly, sorry to be boring and repeating myself but you really should NOT stop taking your BP medication without consulting your GP in the first instance.

I do so understand that you're fed up with feeling unwell on some of the medictions - I've been there and got the proverbial t-shirt!   Don't forget that part of the reason for you feeling unwell at the moment will be due to your tonsillitis and perhaps even the antibiotics you might be taking for that.

Can't you see a different Dr in the practice if you don't want to see your present one. Ask for a different medication - this hypertension forum is littered with people complaining of side effects from Amlodipine - more than any other BP medication.

• Posted

Hi Colin, yes I am being well monitored at the moment but it is by a hospital renal consultant not my GP.  My high blood pressure needs especially close monitoring as I have only one kidney and was diagnosed with chronic kidney disease about 10 years ago.  The blood pressure is fighting with the kidney disease and vice versa.  My systolic blood pressure has been over 200 on many occasions.  Today at the hospital it was 180/68 in spite of being on two different BP drugs.  Hopefully, it will be a little lower when I take it at home tomorrow.  If it remains high, I have been told to take an extra BP pill in the evenings.  Trying to avoid stress but as we all know some stress is unavoidable - had a few shocks over past couple of years with having to call the paramedics on a couple of occasions for hubby plus our fit and healthy son landing on our doorstep one day saying he'd had a stroke but hadn't wanted to tell us over the phone until he could stand in front of us so that we could see he was ok.  We are blessed that he is fine apart from not meeting the DVLA's guidelines for driving as the stroke affected his eyesight.

I so agree about the problems that BP medication brings for some of us whilst others take them without any adverse effects at all.  I think that unfortunately natural treatments rarely work - apart from watching our weight, eating healthily, avoiding salt and having some daily exercise is the best that we can do.  I have been talking to a member of staff whilst at the hospital today who teaches mindfulness and she is going to come along to a support group that I run and give a talk on the subject.  I'm looking forward to that as I feel sure it may be of help to those of us with health problems such as high BP.  Perhaps something like this may help you, Colin, especially if you have a lot of pressure on your shoulders which is unavoidable. 

• Posted

I am home from hospital, I was rushed in because my kidneys were failing, after I month, the consultant has brought back to a better level, but I will always have to be checkers fegularly and on medication for indefinitely. It all started with me starting with that horrible drug Amarodiane, I now have been highlighted that I am not to have this awful drug again.
    • Posted

What a horrid experience, Kathleen.  It's quite frightening how many BP drugs can harm the kidneys, and I live in dread because I've only got one kidney which has been having a bad time as the result of one or two BP medications.  I'm so glad to hear that you have been successfully treated and that your kidneys have recovered, and I do hope you've found a BP medication that is safer for you now.
  • Posted

nellybear, I can see where you are coming from, all of my huge problems had started after I have been taking medication's for my high blood pressure and cholesterol, my blood pressure when up because of the accident my wife sustain and caring for her 24 seven, the huge problems dealing with our corrupt solicitors. I do believe it is quite natural if you are under huge pressure dealing with your circumstances. I have a video of a tribe in Peru their average age they are living to is 80 years old, remember they don't have doctors like we do, so as for blaming our age, that certainly blows that one out of the window, but I do recommend we should keep an eye on our BP, it is hard for me caring for my wife and also keeping an eye on my BP. I have got to find the time to plug the machine in and do what I can to bring it down, even if it is only aspirin's rather than nothing, that is why I had my stroke. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.