Amitriptline and tramodol side effects

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi 

is anyone on this drug combination? Been on it just before Christmas due to back pain. I take 150mg of Amitriptline (my doctor told me to take 175mg) and when pain is to much I take the tramodol at night. These past few days I have been experiencing blurred vision like I am in a hazy environment. Incredible thirst and now left sided back pain (usually in my right side)

thankyou in advance I don't know if these are just side effects or their is something else going on. Can't work like this feel like a zombie 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I have in the past. I was having trouble controlling pain and the doc added amitreptaline to my trmadol. Amitreptaline made me drowsy and hungry but I stopped it because the combo made me short fused and aggressive. This all went with in a day or so after stopping the amitreptaline. I still take trmadol but now use it with much more caution now I know what it's like to withdraw from.
  • Posted

I any to ask, how much trmadol do you take? They both increase serotonin and the combo may make it too high and cause your problems. Google serotonin syndrome to check you symptoms.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply doctor told me to take 2 before bed 50mg tramodol.

i have been trying to only take it when I get desperate. But the blurred vision is a problem as I need to drive for my job. Couldn't work today had to come home. Going to a pain clinic next week hopefully give me something that won't make me feel like a zombie 

• Posted

Tramadol can be stimulating so may affect your sleep. Any way if you are taking 2 tablets take them separately. Take the first tablet 2 to 3 hours before bed and then the second one an hour or 2 later. Tramadol works much better when taken in separate doses.

Word of warning, if you need tramadol regularly try not to use it for more than 3 or 4 days in a row without a day or two break. This will greatly reduce the risk of depedancy and slow down tolerance. So basically try to have 2 days each week without tramadol if you can. I wish I knew that when I first took them but that's life smile

Also I would have thought codeine would be better choice at night because (unlike tramadol) it would help you sleep. Maybe something to discuss at the pain clinic.

• Posted

Thank you Tony I was on codeine but I was still in chronic pain at night that's why he gave me tramadol. Thanks for your advice I will try what you suggest see if it helps 👍
    • Posted

Hi Lisa, I was put on Amitriptyline for chronic sciatic pain and was already on codeine for arthritic pain. I found after 3 weeks the Amitrips started to work but unfortunately I then had a very rare side effect and had to stop taking them. My GP then tried Gabapenten which again I had side effects that I couldn't tolerate. Now I am on Pregablin which is working and easing my chronic pain bit by bit. Both Gabapenten and Pregabalin were primarily used for seizures but it was discovered they worked well on neuropathic pain. Just some suggestions for your GP and/or Pain Clinic. I was once put on Tramadol but they didn't ease my pain, just my perception of it. I was away with the fairies basically and would never take them again. I do hope you get your meds sorted, chronic pain over months is very wearing and needs a soution. I wish you well
    • Posted

Hi 

just a little update I went to the pain clinic and the consultant nearly fell of his chair when I told him what I was on. I was 150 mg of Amitriptyline he said that's why you feel so terrible and have blurred vision. You should never take more than 75mg for pain..... Booked me in for epidural steroid injections... Hoping that works but he depressed me said I am never not going to be without pain because of arthritic changes as well as herniated disc And problems with the sacro iliac joint...  Happy Days

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.