How long should recovery take after sterilisation?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all,

I was sterilised via key hole surgery a week tomorrow.  I'm a bit confused about how long recovery should take.  I was kept in overnight at the Hospital due to pain & had to be given Morphine.  I was discharged the following morning with no issue, other than being in pain from the wound sites.   I have got better each day but am still having to take Codine & Naproxen to control the pain (but it is improving)..I'm still moving quite slowly and have very purple bruises around both wounds.  I have been signed off work for a minimum of two weeks and they have said no bathes or sex for a month!!!  After looking on here and other places, it all says recovery in 2-5 days..am I a wimp..I feel like I'm taking too long with the recovery, but I'm genuinely still very sore? :-(

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

My wife recently had a sterilization done and I can assure you it takes much longer than 2-5 days to recover. I cant speak for everyone but my wife took about 4 weeks before she could give up pain killers and it was probably about 6 weeks before sex was back on the cards. Please dont worry you're not taking too long to recover, anything that says you'll be back to full strength after 5 days is nonsense.
  • Posted

Hey there what Scotts said os so true until a month and 2 weeks my pain didn't go away atleast after that I had to take paracetamols after intercourse, for everyone it's different so relax and take it Easy hope you have a speedy recovery xx

• Posted

Hiya, recovery should be about a week. But I suffered in pain for months. It's now been 18 months since I was sterilised and I'm still in agony. I've lost 2 jobs because of it, and I cannot do normal daily activities. I've been back to the consultant who did myou sterilistation numerous times and I've just asked my Dr to refer me to another consultant as I'm not happy with the treatment fromantic my initial one. They now think I've got endometriosis and I've been on different treatments one worked the others didn't. But it's taken 18 months and a self referral to the endometriosis pain clinic to be finally put forward for a laparoscopy, unfortunately I can be waiting upto 4 months for this.

I hope you find some explanation, but don't give up keep methinks your Dr's and consultant.

A if your on faceb felt free to add me for a chat suzannah Bleakley

Xxx

• Posted

Took me a couple weeks for the soreness to go away
  • Posted

Hi, I had sterilisation with clips in April and went back to work after 2 weeks but didn't feel fully recovered until around 4. I have extra clips as I have fibroids which I a, being treated for now. My periods are heavier but I was on the pill before so expected this. I hope you feel better soon. 

• Posted

Hi I was sterilized a month ago today, went back to work Monday, but I'm still very bloated I look 8months pregnant it's really starting to get me down, the pain went away within a week but this week I've been getting shooting pains across my belly and I keep waking up in a really hot sweat

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.