nissan fundoplication

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had a nissan fundoplication 3 weeks ago , still on soft diet but depends on what i have i have chest and upper back pain is this normal as worried 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Individual experiences vary considerably.

I have a high pain threshold and after my first Nissen, I had no more than bruising. Following my second, more major, Collis-Nissen revision to repair a loosened wrap, I felt a little more pain.

However, many patients do notice the back pain which can last 2 to 3 weeks, It's caused by the surgeon having pumped air into your abdomen to provide room to manoeuver the laparoscope and instruments. If they blow you up too much it can cause temporary ligament damage which may take a few weeks to sort itself out.

However, if the pain isn't manageable with normal over-the-counter paracetamol, it may be worth talking to your doctor about it.

• Posted

Thank you x i feel if i have soup pain is fine but if i try mash or anything a bit thicker i have very bad pain between my shoulder blades and ledt side chest so hoping it will pass, thanks x
  • Posted

Hi Christie, I am due for my op tomoro but from what I read in the forum that is very normal, the pain in shoulders and back. Sorry I can't elaborate more

Hope you recover soon

• Posted

It is normal for what you're feeling. You have to rr member all the air they pump into the body to inflate it for this surgery. It takes time. I am 7wks post op, and still get discomfort,. My Dr Said it is normal for everything they I'm feeling

This way. I'm actually just starting to eat a soft diet.

As my Dr put it to me..the body went through a major trauma

• Posted

Hi can I ask if you Have lost a lot of weight in the 7 weeks?

Nezra

• Posted

Hello,

Of course everyone experiences different things, but a lot of the pain is from gas, and your stomach is trying to get back to into normal places, everything in your stomach has to take time for this to happen. Doctors told me one of the best healing thing to do is walk. I still use my breathing lever ( the one I was given after surgery), it helps to keep lungs free. Anyway, I am 3 weeks after surgery also and am still weak...due to hiatal hernia repair, valve repair, and removal of scar tissue from a prior surgery from years ago. I am having lots of gas problems, so this could be your problem to.

Just try to walk as much as possible. Best wishes to you. Clarice

• Posted

Christel,

All I can say is that I have been having the same thing and my surgery was 5 weeks ago. I am allowed to have some solid foods but certain ones make me sick and give me so much gas that is so painful. I was told by the doctor the pain in the upper back is coming from the diaphragm and gas gets up around the area and has no place to go.

I also have a breathing problem and hoping that will change when the diaphragm heals. I did have diaphragm repair and don't know if everyone has that or not, also found out from doctors surgery notes that the hiatel hernia was 50% into the chest.

I hope some of this helps. Jo

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.