Surgery set for both......2 weeks apart

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have my surgery dates set for june 16th ( left foot ) and june 30th ( right foot ). My surgeon does not want to do both at same time due to being  under anesthesia too long. Which I understand and completely fine with. But I am just curious as to how someone was able to deal with it being done like this. 

I am pretty confident that I can deal with the pain/discomfort. Just hope that it makes it easier to cope with the recovery. 

Thanks,

T

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Well some people have both done together - book 10 weeks off work & be prepared to do absolutely nothing except sitting on your backside whilst you recover. Advice would not to do anything except rest if you wants speedy recovery.
    • Posted

I set my recovery for longer than 10 weeks just to play it safe, I am a nurse and have no choice but to do both do to down time. I was just curious to know how it was experience wise for those with both.

did you have both done same time?

I ordered a slide and transfer chair for the tub like we have in the hospital, but I'm sure it will not be easy to do on my own. I will have a wheelchair access/crutches. But as you said I prepare to lay on the couch with the TV and other things available within my reach. 

• Posted

Hi I think it depends on the surgeon. If you have the minimally invasive op it's a shorter time so it's not too long an anaesthetic. Sadly I don't think it's easy to get this type of surgery on the NHS yet
    • Posted

There is minimal just have to find a surgeon that will do many different approaches. My surgeon does but my feet need a little more done to them bc I have my pinky toe tht is much smaller due to the ligament pullin it back. 
  • Posted

Ok I see. Hope you get it sorted. Everyone 's feet are different aren't they?
    • Posted

Yea. Its the worst place for surgery in my opinion lol I know I will have a percutaneous pin to be removed. but everything is always subject to chnage before the actual surgery date. Hope this helps me and corrects the pain. I'm on my feet at work most the shift and it hard to running back and forth when I miserable in the discomfort. 
  • Posted

I asked my doc about this just yesterday. He does not advise it, at least in my case, as the recovery period would just be too hard. My bunion on my left foot is severe enough that I'm non weight bearing for 6 weeks. He feels recovering from both feet is too tough and even getting around in 2 walking boots is not something he recommended. He advised at least 3 months between feet. But that's just my case perhaps.
    • Posted

I cant do that them individually bc of the down time. I'm a nurse and I cant take off that much time. Plus I went back to school to advance my degree further and I am only getting 6 months leave otherwise I have to leave the school. I know it will not be the most easy recovery but I have confidence that I can get through it to the best of my abilitiessad
  • Posted

I find that very curious. A bunion operation does not take very long and most surgeon do both at the same time. How long is he planning the operation to last? On avarage it takes 30 minutes per foot max. Having 2 anesthesia within a short time is far more dangerous on the body then doing it in one go.

But everyone is different and I would hope you try to get a bit more info out of the surgeon.

• Posted

I wish you good luck but why would your doctor even ok the 2 surgeries only 2 weeks apart? The recovery process, pain, discomfort and difficulty walking for at least 4-6 weeks is just too much for most even on one foot only...
  • Posted

Hi I am a retired nurse and blame being on my feet so much caused my bunions to develop.

i waited until I felt I needed to sort them before booking in to see a surgeon. 

I am now 2 weeks post surgery and my feet are quite comfortable now and I am walking  round the house easily with my Velcro shoes on.I am looking forward to having the kwire removed in 2 weeks so that my big toes can be used again!

Having both toes done together seems to have been the right decision so far for me.

Just a couple of hints. I found elbow crutches really helpful for the first 2 days. I also bought a bed cradle which has been brilliant. I have showered every 2 days using waterproof leg coverings.

Hope that helps!

• Posted

Thx for the suggestions. I was thinking of the water proof covers, but I went w the swivel slide transfer for the tub. I will hang my legs out the side.
    • Posted

And the elbow crutches are a must! I can not stand the underarm ones. I just have to make sure that I get a script for them.
    • Posted

If you do surgery one Foot at a time, you only need a cane (quad cane bettet) rather than crutches. It is very painful to put your body weight on the operatef Foot, so I can't imagine how anyone manages with both feet operated on. Good luck

• Posted

I am to be non-weight bearing on my operated foot for 6 weeks due to the severity of the bunion.  That means no weight,....no cane, no walking on heel, etc.  I am getting a knee scooter and can use it or a wheelchair or crutches to get around.  

It's gonna to be no fun, but it is what it is.  Thanks for the good wishes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.