What did you have to help you with your recovery?

Posted , 13 users are following.

I have my surgery for both feet to be done in June, and so far I ordered a slide transfer chair for the tub that swivels like we have in hospital, But I am just curious what everyone else used to make their recovery as comfortable as possible.

1 like, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I had left foot (bunion and toe straightening- K wire) a week ago. A godsend for me has been stacks of pillows for elevation, my husband and teenagers!, sports water bottle, and a old pair of steps that I can use to 'step down' ( by kneeling on my left knee) rather than use crutches to go up and down. I dont feel confident with crutches but have had no option but to master them! I have managed with paracetamol for pain relief which was worse day 2-4, but now only hurts with increased moving about. Good luck for your surgery smile

• Posted

Thx for answering. This will b a bit hetic im sure but my husband and family will b around to help me. Hooefully the pain is not terrible by the post op recheck date.
  • Posted

I had surgery to just my right foot five days ago and would say that a wheelchair has made getting about during the first few days quite straightforward - and so much easier than crutches! It would have been absolutely indispensable for me if I had had both feet done at once. A fridge by the bed is also a good idea for those essential ice-packs and refreshing drinks.  As regards pain relief, tramadol works best for me when it's bad but ice and elevation has helped most of the time. 

I have been told not to take a bath or shower until the stitches are taken out on day 20, but think about buying some water protectors for your dressings (available on-line) if you plan to bathe earlier.  

• Posted

Thx for ur response. Im going to try and not get up unless absolutly nessessary. I got a slide transfer seat that goes into tub and i can hang my feet out the side.

I been using tramadol now and it has done nothing for my pain thats why i have no choice but the surgery. Hopefully i can get something else or im just going to b miserable.

• Posted

What was the name of the bandage sheilds u use?
  • Posted

I think that until you actually have the op, it's difficult to appreciate that even transitting from the car or getting to the toilet is going to be quite horrible (unless you have someone who can literally carry you around!).  A friend recommended the wheelchair to me, and I'm so glad she did, as our house is big enough that the distances to be covered are too much for someone like me who is a novice on crutches.   Perhaps pre-op crutch practice would be an idea??

Really sorry that the tramadol isn't dealing with your pain.  Have you tried it combined with codamol?

I haven't bought any protectors as my doctor is absolutely adamant on the no bath/shower rule, so can't personally recommend any.  Limbo is the leading brand, I gather.

• Posted

By far my most favorite thing, that I could not live without, was the knee scooter. I was ordered to have no weight on my foot for six weeks (each foot, done separately so 12 weeks total). And I was able to use it for everything from the minute I got home from surgery.
    • Posted

oops, I just read you are having both feet done. Well, then, a wheelchair?
  • Posted

I had surgery on my left foot for a bunion and hammer toe nearly 6weeks ago. Wish I had gone onto this site before!  I got a cage of Amazon to keep the blankets of my foot (Brilliant).a bandage protector (Atlantis), which has allowed me to have a shower (wonderful), a stool for the shower (feel safer). I wrapped my foot in clingfilm & taped a pop sock on, to hide the pin in my toe, when I went out. I wish someone had mentioned the height of the Darco shoe - I feel lopsided as I don't have a high enough shoe on the right side. Hope this helps.
  • Posted

Having a good friend or family member with you at least for the duration of your recovery is essential. Also buy books, games or whatever to keep you occupied especially during the first week or two as you'll be in pain either from bone pain or swelling. I didn't necessarily buy anything new for my recovery, just got creative. I used a swivel stool and put a pillow on that and used two pillows under my leg to comfortably elevate it.

Also, be very conservative with narcotics for pain. I'd say the worst pain I experienced from the surgery was the constipation side effect from narcotics. It's easy to keep using it because you don't want to be in pain and they'll say to take it before you're in pain but I would only use it up to 48 hours after surgery then use an anti-inflammatory for the swelling and just don't do too much in the first month. Granted, I only had one foot done and will get my other foot done in a couple months.

• Posted

Good luck with surgery.  I am just having a look around site and had my second operation last 3 weeks ago.

You have been given good advice and I don't think I can add very much more -

I refused to use crutches as I just didn't feel safe when I was given them immediately after my first op.  The physio brought me a walking frame.  (I am in UK and as we all know on here all care can vary.)

1. The walking frame made me feel safe.  It protected my foot as I was moving forward.

2. Three legged shower stool was ordered after my first op from Amazon and came quickly.  Brilliant - does not take up so much room and adjustable height.

3. Commode by side of bed for a quick wee - as I drank pleanty of water.  (Don't laugh it was purchased several years ago for my 93 year old Mum to save her using stairs to bathroom.  She refused to use it and so we got it out of the attic for me!)

4. Plastic leg protector with rubber diagphram has also been brought out again this time.  

5. Carry mobile phone at all times - brilliant to summon my husband.

6. Get all you think you want to do e.g. knitting, books, pen/pad for writing down 'needs' as my husband would get downstairs and forget what I asked for.

7. Alarm Clock - I got all my pain relief timed so that I was taking it as soon as I could.  I also would now that I was not taking more than I should.  

8. Land line by side of bed if possible to take phone calls.

9. Ice Packs from Boots - that you could wrap around ankle.

10. Plenty of pillows to make yourself comfy and to keep foot elevated.

11. Online food shopping comes into it's own.  My laptop also helped boardom for catch-up progarms/films.

Think that's all - I used the spare bed.  That way I could wake up even in the middle of the night and read if I wanted to.  So kept all this up for the first two weeks (in fact stayed upstairs like it was my bedsit - found it really tough - but I didn't want the dogs to get in my way and also having to go up/down stairs.)

Good luck!  Oh! Yes - write your questions down for all your appointments.  That way you feel prepared.

• Posted

Oh! Yes - re constipation.... one tip on here I read was to get some linseed from Health Food shop and sprinkle on cereal.  I kept a bag of dried figs and prunes to snack on.
    • Posted

Ty! For all the input. I def have a lot of crafts to keep me busy and my husband is taking off the first two weeks of my first operation. My other foot will b 2 weeks later. But my dad lives two blocks from my home and my aunt lives down the road. So hopefully they can help me out when my husband goes back to work. I def getting nervous bc my op is in two weeks. Yikes!
  • Posted

Hi, I had my bunion op and big toe realignment on Sunday 22nd may. So far stayed in bed 95% time with foot elevated. I have to get up in morning to get my breakfast etc, feed cat and let him out and found the orthoshoe giving me back problems because of the height difference. Have improvised by putting 2 insoles in my support sandal for my right foot. This means that I am walking more evenly. Otherwise it is obviously essential to have help which I do have from about 11.00 am. Have used laxido for constipation. Hope this helps.
    • Posted

I will def be on some kind of stool softener bc I will not do well w the discomfort of the constipation

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.