Post op how do I clean op foot?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had my bandages and medical shoe off on Thursday just over 6 weeks post op. My foot is scabby with flaking dry skin. I have washed with baby bath and moisturised with bio oil. Should I wash with aqueous cream and moisturise with something else?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I can't provide any info as I'm still in casts but I can't wait to get them off my feet as my skin is sooooo dry and flaky just now.

I never thought of using baby bath to wash them, so that's a really good idea.

I've been trying to moisturize my heels and the little bit of my toes and top of my feet that I can reach but it isn't really making much of a difference.

Have you submerged your feet, as in a bath yet, or just gently washing your feet separately?

I have another week to go until I get my casts and bandages off and I can't wait!!

I'm interested to read what others suggest. Hope your foot is much better now.

• Posted

I have not soaked. I sit on side of bath and use shower attachment. But it's dangerously slippery. I thought aqueous cream to wash foot with but adverse reports online. What to moisturise with too? I was so excited when bandages off that I walked a mile with a coffee break in between. I now have swollen feet and hobble around Waitrose! I found a u-tube exercise video that said move your relevant toe 'til it hurts and do it 30 times a day! I am doing that. It seems a slow continual process

• Posted

Hi Brenda, I moisturised my foot with Sorbolene cream after showering which helped the dry skin to fall off but it will take at least two weeks before it looks good again.
  • Posted

Hi Brenda,

i am three weeks post op now and doing fine and moving about quite well. I have soft bandages wrapped and a Darco surgical shoe.  I also am anxious to have everything removed and it will feel good to finally wash it all well.

Wondering  why you are nervous to submerge your foot in water after 6 weeks... Wouldn't the wounds have healed well enough by now?  I suppose you could wash with an antiseptic solution for a bit longer.

But I am also so interested to hear how you were walking after the bandages came off... I am curious to know how quickly my joints will be moving after being inactive and all wrapped up for 6 weeks!  

If anyone can share their experiences of the days after bandages were removed - that would be welcome! 

Thanks!

• Posted

Hi Susand

Yes I walked the same afternoon bandages were off, one mile, with. Coffee break midway. I was desperate. I walked slowly with small steps. I have always been renowned as a very fast walker. That was Thursday, today Saturday my foot is still swollen and I am doing the toe exercise which hurts like hell. I am bathing foot once a day and rubbing with bio oil. Every time I do my exercises, I take the sock off and dry skin flakes are everywhere. I cannot do multiple toe exercises at same time. I do them in bursts of 2 or 3 back and forth and wait a couple of hours and do them again. Mostly sitting on the Loo, that's the best place!!!

• Posted

Susuan, how long were you told to keep the spacer between your toes? Mine was there for 6 weeks leaving a gap between them making the foot wider. Now I look like I have a piggy toe. Because of the width I need to have a bunnionette near the little toe, stopping it from curling under, being squashed.
    • Posted

Hi, I had bunion correction 3 weeks ago now - am not sure I have a "spacer" but my foot is wrapped and bandaged in such a way that my big toe is slightly over-extended. Every week I return for a post op checkup and he rewraps the bandage the same way so my bone fuses in position. Otherwise I have no pins, or hardware and only soft bandages. I also had a 4th toe correction, it has curled under my whole life, so nice to see it fixed! All secured in place and held straight with bandages and tape. Hope that helps and good luck with your recovery!
    • Posted

Thanks for replying. I used the spacer between my large toe and the one next to it after the bandages were removed. Spacers are made of soft gel in the shape of a small bone knuckle keeping toes apart but I left mine in for too long allowing the bones set being spaced apart which I'm not happy about. Now more surgery. Your lucky having no pins or staples in your foot wherefore I do and will again during the next operation. Good lucky with your recovery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.