Hydrocelectomy, so far routine.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am forty-eight years old.  Somewhere in the middle of 2015, I noticed that the right side of my scrotum had become very large.  Eventually it had reached the size of a medium orange.  After having an ultrasound, the diagnosis was a hydrocele.  I waited out the remainder of the year to see if my condition might improve--no changes.

Fast forward to 3/25/16, the date of my hydrocelectomy.  The fluid sac was completely removed and I was left with a three inch incision on my scrotum which needed to be cleaned periodically with gauze.

Day of surgery:

Under general anesthesia, I was rolled into surgery and went out like a log.  I woke up having been treated--the initial shock was the worst as it felt like I had been kicked in the groin really hard.  I was immediately given percocet for pain which worked well although it turns you into a rambling idiot.  After some rest, I was able to get dressed, do some light walking, and was released to go home.  I hung out at home all day 

with very little pain and watched a couple of movies.  My mobility was fine, I used an icepack for about twenty minutes every hour to reduce the swelling. I managed to make it through the entire day without another dose of the prescribed percocet. 

Day two:

After sleeping soundly throughout the night, the pain returned in the morning and I took my first follow-up dose of percocet.  Aside from mild swelling and an incision, my scrotum returned to close to normal size especially when you consider its pre-surgery size.  Overall, I'm eating normal, functioning normal, just bruising pain and dazed from the medication. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

An important thing to note, which doctors kinda 'forget' to mention before the surgery, is that your testicle is not going to behave like it did before it grew, i.e. not like the other healthy one, ever again. Reason being they actually remove the testicle from the inner sack and tie the sack backwards for its own self, so that the testicle remains outside this natural home and also gets tied for the rest. It's a bit complicated without a picture, but the point is, it's not going to float in its sack ever again, which means it won't be able to float freely up and down as we all got used to. It's going to have a fixed range of movement, so when the other testicle naturally drops in its bag all the way down, the one that survived the surgery will stay up, as it's tied to the tissue where it stands. My doctor explained all this to me only once I complained about it 50 days after the surgery. He said this is the best the modern medicine can do, and this is simply how it goes. Pretty sad, but I suppose that's life - things don't go backwards once they screw up.
    • Posted

After some of the horror stories I've read before surgery, I didn't know what to think.  Now entering day three, I'm really pleased with how everything went, and happy that I've returned to a more managable size.  To your point, I suppose I will be able to offer more feedback as the days pass.
  • Posted

For me the hardest part of this surgery is the recovery after the 3 day period.  Getting around and generally living with a 4" incision in your scrotum is no fun.  Eventhough it seems like it's healing normally, it does hurt.  I can't imagine riding a bike or motorcycle anytime soon, much less sex.  It's like hurry up and wait, but  meanwhile have a kick in the nuts.  
    • Posted

I think the feeling of being "kicked in the nuts" is the most accurate description of post surgery.  For long stretches, I get the false sense of security that things are improving and then the pain returns.
  • Posted

Yeah my nuts were really tender immediately post op.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.