Vasectomy Reversal

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hello Everyone.

I'm 30 years old. I had a vasectomy done 1 year ago. Since I had the vasectomy operation I'm having an significant chronic pain on a daily basis. Testicular ache and a sharp burning pain radiating up to my abdomen. it's a very unpleasant feeling constantly. I'm so afraid that I have to live with this pain for the rest of my life. I take pain killers every day, which I dont like. Other then that I do not have any underlying diseases or medical histories. 

I wish to get a vasectomy reversal with the goal of relieving my “post vasectomy pain” so I can live a normal life again. (I don't care if I become fertile again or not, I just want to get rid of the pain).

I heard that a vasectomy reversal relieves the build-up of back pressure that may cause pain in the testicles.

But for other patients, the pain is not due to back pressure, but rather to chronic inflammation at the vasectomy site. If the urologist cut out the inflammation site and reverse the vasectomy, the pain will usually be eliminated.

The pain may result from microscopic amounts of sperm leaking out of the vas deferens into the surrounding tissue. This leakage can cause inflammation. 

What if I have an inflammation ?. 

Will the urologist be aware of this and remove the inflammation before he performs the vasectomy reversal operation ?.

Any information's you may have would be appreciated. 

Thanks for reading this.

1 like, 59 replies

59 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I've had PVP for over 3 years now and it is living hell so I fully understand how bad the pain can be.

There are two possible surgical routes to TRY and eliminate pain. One is the reversal and the other is epidydectomy.

I had the latter and it's made things worse inasmuch as my testicles are now continually sore and tender.

A reversal can only attempt to alleviate symptoms down to a cope able level. It is rare for pain to be fully eliminated. Like epidydectomy there is a small risk of increasing pain or not doing anything, in other words no better off.

You'll need to think hard about any option given small risks of increasing pain levels. That said reversal for some does offer reduced pain levels.

I'm still I'm morphine and have zero sex drive, painful erections and ejaculation's after 3 years and am out of options.

Really hope you find some relief from the hell you're currently in

• Posted

Has there been any success going from a closed eneded to an open ended vasectomy? I am trying to convince my urologist to do so.
    • Posted

No idea re success on that sorry. Some sufferers on PVP forums have found it can help lower, not lose, pain.

Again though any operation in that area carries risk of making it worse.

Sorry to say but procedure you have done to TRY and esse pain is very much pot luck with regards success rate and very few people lose all pain. That is to say majority carry on having pain of varying severity.

Sadly NHS and Drs comprehensively fail to adequately point out risks and that you could be staring at lifelong pain.

As Ouchy had said below the NHS don't routinely offer reversals, even when it is to combat pain rather than restore fertility. You can request funding for reversal if you can get urologist on side but majority of funding requests are denied. Your best bet is to count on a reversal costing around £3k....a lot of money where there's no guarantee of it reducing pain to an acceptable level.

• Posted

I'm just curious if back pressure is the concern, then why not just convert to open vs. Reversal?
    • Posted

Because it's a myriad of other factors as well. Bulk of PVP seems to be neural in nature, hence surgical options can only offer limited success and further complicate by potentially causing more nerve damage.

The fact is neural is why many Drs won't consider orchiectomy as if the bulk of damage is neural removing testicles won't help. I've tried twice for that option and both times be turned down due to neural issues.

There is no easy fix for PVP and each option poses its own risks.

• Posted

Hey guys, symptoms keep changing on me as im now at 3 months post vasectomy.

I just finished my 3rd round of heavy duty antibiotics and toradol. Maybe its helping just a bit? Low grade ache all the time, but pain gets worse and brings moments of sharp pain after ejaculation. Ejaculation feels incomplete and low in volume, then tons of pain. Occasionally ill get a decent ejaculation and pain levels arent as bad.

During the urologist exam he poked around and my epididymis was pretty tender, but hours after he squeezed around there the pain was very intense.

My question is; is this pvps or do i have something else?

• Posted

Constant ache, pain on ejaculation and not a lot of ejaculate does sound like PVP.

Does it hurt on gaining an erection as well?

Just because it sounds like PVP though doesn't mean it is, it could just be inflamed epididymus.

Drs first port of call is to say infection then prescribe antibiotics....If it hasn't cleared up by now though you need to be asking about possibility of PVP and if painful enough asking for pain relief.

Really hope it isn't PVP for you though

• Posted

No issues with Erection or during ejaculation. Just minutes after the pain comes in.
  • Posted

If they remove inflamed epydidymus then a reversal cannot be performed.

You could try reversal first and if that doesn't work go for epidydectomy bit you cannot do it the other way around

• Posted

You are unlikely to be offered reversal on the nhs unless you've had it a long time. It costs 3k. I've had PVPS for over 3 years and have had an epdidymectomy on the left over 2 years ago. Still in pain both sides. Urologist offered reversal of right, but this won't fix left. Also offered bilateral denervation but success is 20%. Decided to give up. Pain killers affect testosterone too. After 3 years with my Urologist I've signed myself off. There is no cure.

There isn't a cure I am afraid. There is a huge denial at point of consultation for the snip.

Sorry you have ended up here.

• Posted

Hi Nick, sorry to learn of yet another vasectomy " gone wrong" I can only state that with me after the medics had tried alsorts with no joy I decided the only thing to do was get the awful vasectomy reversed, after things had settled down after the reversal I was better than 50% improved.

The best way for men is to refuse to have this outdated op. Most methods of contraception even when side effects occure, we return to normal shortly, but with the snip we are often lumbered fo life.

Good luck.

• Posted

david62661 :

Im curious to hear how many years after the vasectomy operation did you wait, before you decided to go for the vasectomy reversal operation ?. And how are you doing now ?.

I do understand that the chance is only 50%. It can either get better or worse after the operation. 

Thanks for your reply anyway.

• Posted

david62661 :

Im curious to hear how many years after the vasectomy operation did you wait, before you decided to go for the vasectomy reversal operation ?. And how are you doing now ?.

I do understand that the chance is only 50%. It can either get better or worse after the operation. 

Thanks for your reply anyway.

• Posted

Hi Nick, yes it was seven and a half years and I had excellent sperm tests after the reversal, this to me was a huge boost to know that I was back in manhood again. the pains and wrong feelings after the reversal settled down to a lot less than 50% of pre reversal. For me that was perhaps the best I could have hoped for. All I can say is that for me the reversal was a success, but I still wish of course that I had been given the true rates of post vasectomy pain syndrome, (over 10%) instead of being told problems are very rare.
    • Posted

Hi David.

Thanks for your reply.

Im glad to hear that you are doing better now and that the reversal was a success for you.

So you was struggling for 7 years after you got the vasectomy - 7 years in constantly pain ?.

Did you have pain on a regular basis or only sometimes ?.

And what kind of pain - Testicular ache and a sharp burning pain radiating up to your abdomen. Or ?.

All the best,

Nick.

• Posted

Hi Nick,

After I had the vasectomy I thought and was told it would just settle down in time, but it not only did not settle it became worse. I was so uncomfortable I was not able to sit down, with the pressure as soon as anything pushed up to my scrotum, (with my testicles being so tender.) I went back to the clinic who did the op and was told it must be just in the mind and anyway they could not do anything for me. My doctor was not a lot more helpful, who I complained to on a regular basis. Eventually I just had enough of no help and thought all I wanted, was to be back to where I was before the awful vasectomy.

• Posted

Hi david62661.

Thanks for sharing.

Why did you wait seven and a half year before you decided to get the vasectomy reversal ?. Thats a long time.

- But I guess you just had the hope that things would settle down and get better ?.

Im glad to hear that you are doing better now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.