Gabapentin treatment and side effects (help please)

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hello everyone, I have once again been prescribed gabapentin for nerve pain (neuroapthy in hands and feet) .. I have tried it in the past once and could not get used the side effects for the first few days so just stopped it. My doctor wants me to begin with 300 mg daily and build it up over 3 days to 300 mg x 3 daily.  I worry the last time i was on it i could not sleep and felt very moody at times.  Can anyone advise me on this? Has anoyone experienced this and does this pass and after how long please.  It has helped with pain on the few days I was on it in the past and just need to know how long i should give it for it and me to settle with it. Thanks

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Geoff.....I was prescribed the same doses as you only 2 weeks ago....the first night of 900mg for the day I slept 13 hours and the next night 11.5 hours. I felt like a zombie and would not drive. On the 5th day I started crying, feeling so miserable. Two other ladies I know have had the same experience of crying with it. I took my last dose of it last Friday and cried all day Saturday and Sunday. I hate meds that have control over me. Good luck with it
    • Posted

Hello Iris thanks for your reply .... i have started my gabapentin yesterday and will be increasing it today a little more .. but as happened in the past I do have a lot of difficulty getting to sleep and staying asleep when on this medication... most people seem to over sleep with it!!  Hope you are ok with yourself? Geoff
  • Posted

Hi I have neuropathy too but take Pregabalin 600 mg it's similar to Gabapentin I just wondered if you knew about it?
    • Posted

Yes i have tried pregabalin in the past and at first it was great .. fantastic ... but then the pure enduring insomnia kicked in after about 2 - 3 weeks and i just couldn't sleep at all!
  • Posted

Over 7 months here 300x9 nerve pain feet toes also on slow release tramadol side effects so fair memory loss tiredness seeing and hearing things coldness all the time weight gain lack of sleep
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply and it seems you suffer with gabapentin also as I do .. how do you manage with the lack of sleep if i may ask? Geoff
  • Posted

hi Geoff I have been gaba for a while now without any real side effects till few days ago when I started having blurred vision which was really scary I've made an appointment with my doctor to have this checked out as I'd rather go on another pain relief medication than this

Brian

• Posted

Brian thanks for your reply ... how are you going on with your gabapentin now ... your problems with blurred vision settled at all .. i know it is a recognised problem with this medicaiton!  But good you have not had any other problems so far.  How long have you taken this medication? I have to say myself I find it a good thing for pain relief!
  • Posted

Hello Geoff,

I take 300mg of Gaberpentin 3x a day. I do find sleeping difficult so i am now taking 10mg of Amitriptyline at night to halp with sleep.  Amitriptyline is used for nerve pain and i find it works for me. The only side effects i have is weight gain, i am not happy about this but the pain relief is more important for me. 

I hope you find what is right for you.

Elizabeth.

• Posted

Thanks Elizabeth ... yes you are prescribed the same amount of gaba as myself ... and you suffer with insomnia too ... i have tried amitriptyline in the past but it does not agree with me alas.  Be good to hear how you are doing and getting along! Gaba does provide good pain relief i agree.
  • Posted

The side effects are ridiculous. U just need to decide whether the pains worse or the side effects. I decided the pain was worse so still on them but everything I take a dose I hate it.start with 100mg a day for 4 days 200 for 4 days and so on. Slower u adjust less likely side effects come
    • Posted

Ps. I've been awake for 35 hours.
  • Posted

It can take anywhere from one to two weeks and it depends on much your doctor increases it......I think its too much in such a short period to take that amount....believe me you are going to sleep sleep sleep good for the first week at least
    • Posted

Hello Rita... thanks for your reply ... i am afraid like most people with gabapentin I don't sleep well with it at all .. in fact i suffer with very bad insomnia because of it .... but i have in the past found it very good for pain releif ... hope you are managing ok.

Geoff

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.