Gabapentin and Amitriptyline

Posted , 3 users are following.

Was on 600mg Gabapentin 3 times a day for peripheral neuropathy to little effect. Was prescibed Amitriptyline, took 25mg for 3 days then 50mg for 5 days - replacing the 2 Gabapentin at night. Reduced Amitriptyline to 25mg after awful side effects. Took for 2 days with 300mg at night (in addition to the 600mg in morning and new GP said stop Amitriptyline and increase morning dose to 900mg. Was OK for a while, but then feet and lower legs started severe pins and needles, difficult to walk. Disturbed sleep last night and feet and legs still bad. Is this withrawal from Amitriptyline? How long will it last? GP rang and said gradually increase Gabapentin to 900mg 3 times a day and if necessary go to 1200mg 3 times a day. Any suggestions? Will this gradually get better?

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ped

I am on 300mg nine times a day for nerve pain was on Amitriptyline 30-40 mg per night for over a year great for sleeping but during the day no help at all 

Have you tried using capistan cream been using it since dec and its great for my feet use it 2-3 times a day ask your GP for it also ask for the pain clinic too help 

Regards 

paul

• Posted

Thanks for that Paul, I have heard of that but have never tried it. Will ask GP for it.
    • Posted

Re last comment: do you mean Capsaicin?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.