Hiatus hernia operation

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi I am due an operation on my hiatus hernia on the 20th of April I'm still unsure what id like to know from those who have gone through the operation was it worth it? How long is the recovery process? Would you do it again knowing what you know after?

Thanks in advance.

Ian :-)

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

What sort of hiatus hernia repair are you having? I'm guessing it will be a Laparoscopic Nissen Fundoplication to pull the herniated stomach back through the hiatus whence it will be anchored in place by wrapping the gastric fundus around it (as per attached image)?

Had this operation 9 years ago to reduce reflux. The best thing I ever did.

• Posted

Hi thanks for your reply I'm having a partial Fundoplication as my osophagus is weak it's good to hear from someone who the operation has worked for. Can you eat/drink as normal also how long did it take you to recover? I suppose it's normal to worry but my tablets don't work anymore I've got scaring in my osophagus through the acid had all the tests and have got to this stage.

Ian :-)

• Posted

I was told I'd need to be on soups and pureed foods for a couple of weeks but was given stiffe porridge for breakfast and a fish pie for lunch before being discharged the next day - though was full before I'd eaten half of it.

Took me a few weeks to get back to normal and eating normally. I built up stamina by walking short distances round the block initially and was cycling long distances (eg 30 miles) within 6 weeks .

All the best.

• Posted

Thanks again it's encouraging to hear your recovery was so quick. Did you have any wind issue's like others have reported are you able to burp?

• Posted

Some people have difficulty burping or vomiting initially - though this usually resolves when the scar tissue heals. For me this wasn't a problem and I managed to burp before leaving the hospital. No other wind issues.
    • Posted

Hopefully I have a similar experience to you your's has been very positive.

Ian

• Posted

Hi Ian, I can't answer your question but it will be nice to see what replies you get. I have suffered for years with a hiatus hernia and have been told I need surgery now to put it right. Its something I have been putting off due to be being petrified of the operation, I'm such a whimp.

I am suffering more than ever now, its not just the reflux now but the chest and back pain I get with it. I also get short of breath now which iv been told is due to the hernia being so big, its pressing on my diaphram.

I will follow this discussin, it might help me get over the fear of surgery.

Good luck mate.

• Posted

Hi I feel the same as you but don't want to suffer the rest of my life also the damage being done to the osophagus by reflux won't get any better :-( I'm starting to think there is no other option. I will report back after the operation if my bottle doesn't go first.

Ian

• Posted

If you ate having just a hernia, you'll be fine. My mother had hernia surgery 5 times. They can come back, just don't go over weight, or lift extremely heavy items
  • Posted

Hi ian 78533

I have a sliding Hiatus Hernia and well controlled on Lansoprazole 15mg so an operation for me is not necessary. But hope you find the answers you are seeking.

Jazztrain

• Posted

Thanks in on 40mg Lansoprazole and 300mg of Ranitidine but still get reflux I used to be in a lower dose but that stopped working.
  • Posted

I've been suffering for almost 2 years with a hernia, first they took out my gallbladder and told me I never had a hernia, so when I was still having pain they said it was my heart.  After seeing my 2 cardiologist telling me both that no it was not my heart I went to see another gastro and confrimed I did have a hernia.  I doubt I ever needed my gallbladder removed.  So with the running around and back and fourth I'm going on 2 years now with pain.  They said it's a small hernia, if there is this much pain for a small one I hate to see what a large one is like.  I hope they recommend surgery for me when I go back because I don't know if I can do this for the rest of my life.  I can barely walk and stand to cook.  I'm in pain everyday.  Can't eat anything without it hurting. Please keep us posted on your surgery.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.