Help, this tramadol withdrawal is hell!

Posted , 8 users are following.

Afternoon

Just wanted to get some advice from others that have been in the same place as me. I was put on tramadol 100mg 4 times a day in January after having back surgery on my L5/S1 disks. I am awaiting more injections because the scar pain is still too much.

The tramadol was making me really depressed as it is, so GP has said that I need to start coming off it. I'm on day 3 of 250mg rather than 400mg and I feel horrendous. Really emotional and depressed, I feel so nauseated and feel like I have the flu!

Anyone else felt the same? How did you get around these problems or do you just have to ride it out?

It's making me miserable!

Thanks smile

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

First of all Im in US in Tx. Tramadol is a controlled substance class 4 in the US. Since Aug of 2014. Im a still recovering Tram addict or dependency. I had been taking it for 8-9 yrs normal at first. Off an on. Then last 2-3 yrs of taking it, started getting it off Internet an was up to 15-20 a day. It tirned out I was using it for depression an anxiety. Be able to handle everything. It gave me energy (i thought!) An couldn't feel emotions fr our daughter passing in 2000. I have 2 teen sons an married now. It got bad. I wanted to quit but on such a high dose an frequency going without one pill in over 2 hrs I started withdrawaling. I had been praying to God for help to quit. Finally in May of 2014 I got very sick with a virus. An had to stop the Tramadol due to being so sick so not only sick with virus was having withdrawls. Skipped heart beat an palpitations. Turns out I was severely dehydrated an potassium criticaly low an I had to finally come clean to ER Dr how many I was taking. So humiliated! But he said I needed to get off. He prescribed anti-anxiety med an gave i.v. fluids. 2 days later I went to a detox facility on
  • Posted

Hi Becky, how quickly are you tapering? 150mg is a steep drop to start with! Once yourbody adapts to the lower dose you will feel better, I would say a couple of days! Keepyourself hydrated and try to get some exercise (hard I know but it does lift your spirits) take warm baths if you have RLS! take some paracetamol if you have any! has your doctor prescribed any other painmed?
  • Posted

Sorry I didn't finish my story an pressed reply! Anyway went for 5 days to the facility. It was hell first 3 days! Then got better by 5 days but developed depression and anxiety after I got out about a month later. Was put on Zoloft. It helped in about a month of taking it but became toxic jn my body. Had to stop after 2 an half months. That was about Aug of 2014. In October the depression got VERY bad. I was scared. I also started menopause at same time! Dbl whammy.. Well long story short, iv tried 4 different antidepressants an now not on anything trying to get Prozac out of system. Made me sick. Just on Klonapin. 1 every now an then. PAWS is real an I guess Im dealing with that. Two options for you. SLOWLY taper. I mean SLOW like drop half a pill every month or you will have withdrawls. Tramadol increases Seratonin an Norepinephrine in brain along with some pain relief. Don't mix any Seratonin increasers while taking Tramadol. Not even natural ones like 5-htp or L-Tyrosine. Or any antidepressant. Next option is cold turkey. I did that. The only way for me. I knew I would give in an take one to rid me of the torture. Cold tirkey is hard. Your not gonna die or have a siezure. Look on Internet for help with cold turkey or slow withdrawaling. There's nothing wrong getting help getting off Tramadol fr your Dr. Anti-anxiety meds help with Restless legs an insomnia. Drink lots of fluids an take b-vitamins, magnesium, vit. C. Exercise helps with anxiety an the blues. Hot baths. Some have put Bengay on legs then took towels an wrapped legs snuggly to sleep. Yes, you are going to have the blues. Your brain is having to rewire. It's not fun. But you can do it. Goodluck. Sorry such a long post. But I despise Tramadol!!

• Posted

That is a huge drop. Go up to 350 for a while, then ease down to 300.  Don't do the withdrawals suddenly, it needs to be done gradually, so that your brain does not react so much
  • Posted

I used it for 6 years up to 20 50mg pills a day. It really gets a hold on you after a while and you feel like you can't live without it, but you can. I stopped cold turkey about 7 weeks ago. The first week was the roughest but it's so much better to be OFF of them. You won't die or have a seizure etc, from stopping them.. it's more mental than anything. The less time you take it the better and easier it'll be to finally get off of those horrible pills. Good luck! And it does get better!
  • Posted

I went through the same thing. It was tough, but everyone is different how they handle withdrawls. I cut back 1/2 a tab at a time for about 6 weeks and finally stopped. Yes, you don't sleep, you get chills etc. As for me, I started drinking green tea alot and taking warm epson salt baths. The most important thing is not to just sit around feeling bad, but to keep moving. Keep busy. Go for walks etc. Remember, you are on an opioid, the feel good pill. I was on it for 15 years. Your mind has to be reprogrammed.

I have been off of it going on two years. Am I ever happier. Hang in there. It's worth it

• Posted

Hi Becky - I'm just reading the comments below and it's all sound advice, however, the drop is too much at once... go back to your GP and if possible ask for the slow release as these do give your body more time to get used to not having it.... stick with it.... it will be worth it in the end.... Nic x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.