Frightened

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi. I have been on Venlalic since 1990 it started after my father passed. I started having severe panic attacks. That then led to depression. I started on 300mg and eventually weaned myself down to 150. I tried to come down to 75mg but had the most terrible wooshing inside my head. To stop it I am now back up to 225mg. Does anyone have any advise. X

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi. Sorry for your bad experience. Why did you try to halve the dose? Did your doctor suggest it?
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply. No I decided to try myself. I will deffinately try what you suggest. Slowly seems the best way. I remember very vividly how I was years ago and I suppose it is the fear of the Unknown. But j will keep trying. X
  • Posted

You have been on Ven for quite a long time. If you have some patience now you can go down slowly and likely, uneventfully. The idea is to make the smallest changes and wait it out until you are symptom-free for at least a few weeks and then take another small step down. I was on ven for 12 years. It took me roughly 2 years to wean off. At first reduction (by 37.5mg) we waited 9 months until next drop. The reason for it was that there would be no reductions until any symptoms stopped and remained gone for at least a month and in my case, i had time, we waited for 3 months symptom-free. The subsequent reductions were easier than the first and the waiting period varied 3 to 6 months. If you are on 225, you could drop to 187.5 and stick it ot for at least 1 month AFTER any withdrawal symptoms cease. Then go down another 37.5. etc. My weaning was led by prescribing psychiatrist. I had no notable withdrawal symptoms except some initial headaches and instability. Consult your doctor. If they insist on 75 mg reductions, ask if they can humor you and go slower. If you have time for a slow decline that is.

All the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.