Diabetes or anxiety???

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi

I'm 29, a little overweight, and diabetes runs in my family. The last time my doc took my blood, it was 145 non-fasting. For the past few weeks, at almost always the exact same time in the mornings (usually around 6 am), I wake up feeling shaky and just nervous. Sometimes I'm able to get back to sleep, sometimes I have to get up and eat something and then I'll feel better afterwards. Now this morning, I woke up at 4:30 and ate something just because. I woke up around 6 shaking and nervous again. I was able to go back to sleep until 8:30, and had to poop, but didn't feel shaky. I've been dealing with a lot medical wise, and that's when those symptoms started. The doctor put me on 0.25 mg of Xanax. I don't have the feeling very often, usually only that one time and always in the morning. Could this be hypoglycemia or is it just anxiety? Thank you for any input.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Chelsea, my experience is that if you're experiencing anxiety, it's your body's way of telling you something's wrong. 

The he fact that you're experiencing the anxiety at the same time, is a huge clue, and may indicate a sluggish liver or other issue. If your other health problems include hypothyroidism, this can cause a sluggish liver. Hypothyroidism also can cause anxiety, as can thyroid meds if they aren't just right. 

Lastly, if you have diabetes or thyroid disease that you've had difficulty controlling, these can throw off your adrenals, over stress them leading to adrenal exhaustion if Addison's disease

Hope pe that helps give you some ideas where to look and where to focus to heal yourself.

catherine

• Posted

Hi there,

Thank you for replying. My doctor said I tested negative for hypothyroidism. A sluggish liver? What could that mean?

• Posted

Also, at the moment I'm on metronidazole for C Diff. 500 mg every 8 hours. Been on it for about a week.
    • Posted

People with hypothyroidism cannot always be diagnosed by a blood test.  Doctors use the old TSH test as an initial indicator, but this doesn't always give an accurate picture. You might want to check the list of symptoms using an online search. I only say this because I have a severe thyroid disease that did not show up in blood tests, but the obvious lump on my throat is undeniable thyroid disease.

Low thyroid often goes undiagnosed and causes sluggish metabolism throughout the body, leading to all sorts of chronic illness, auto immune disease, as well as a sluggish liver. I'm just saying that if you're experiencing a lot of health problems, thyroid disease should be firmly ruled out.

• Posted

Hi Chelsea, 

a quick search for metronidazole shows that is is typically prescribed for infections.

Have you had a lot of infections with no apparent reason? This could indicate low immune system, low thyroid. Do you have food sensitivities? Also part if low thyroid.

• Posted

No. The C Diff is the only infection I've had for a long time. I don't have any food sensitivities at all.
    • Posted

Hi Chelsea, 

I came on here because my mom recently had a diabetic attack, when her a1c has been at 7. So I've been trying to figure out how it works... We think the diabetes may have been triggered my some of her other meds.

I have hypothyroidism and was on a t3 medication... And my doctors didn't seem worried that my a1c was just below 10... Turns out hypothyroidism and some of the thyroid meds can cause falsly high a1c levels. Which is why my none of my docs were concerned. I have no symptoms of diabetes.

I'm offering these examples because if you know you're diabetic and you're having multiple other health issues, you may need to see an endocrinologist, and even get more than one opinion. That's if you're having other chronic health problems in addition to the diabetes. That may give you some answers.

Hope that helps some

Catherine

• Posted

Hi again,

I really appreciate all your help. My a1c was at 5.4 last time I had it checked. My T3 was 95 and my free T4 was at 1.11. I'm not on any medication except for the metronidazole.

• Posted

Hi Chelsea, good that you have thyroid numbers. The range I found online for free T4 was 4-12 ug/dl.  Yours is 1.1, so your T4 is low unless it's different units. That could be your problem. 

The the range I found for T3 is 80-180ng/dl. So your T3 is on the very low end of normal. 

Id check online for thyroid symptoms to see if you feel like that could be your problem. 

You can have your rT3 checked to see if it is elevated, which means you likely need medication, with high rT3 and low T3. But your numbers may be low enough even without the rT3 test to require thyroid meds. (Unless, as I said, the units are different.) You can also have an antibody test done for Hashimotos disease. Though the Hashomotos test is only 50% accurate. My Hashimotos test was negative and I have cysts all over my thyroid. The cysts are another diagnostic for Hashimotos and are detected by examining the neck and by ultrasound.

There are two causes of thyroid disease: Hashimotos and Graves' disease. Both are autoimmune, but have slightly different symptoms and issues, but both are treated with thyroxin medications.

if you see an endocrinologist and feel you're borderline thyroid disease, you can try some natural treatments, herbs, gluten-free duet, etc. See if this gets your thyroxin numbers more towards the midrange.

Hope that helps.

• Posted

Hi to chelsea20890,

I am sorry i do not know because i dont have those symptoms even tho i am diabetic i cannot answer your question.

Irene05085.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.