Amitryptaline weight gain

Posted , 5 users are following.

i I have been taking amitryptaline for over 2years at a higher dose, I take 100mg daily. I the last year & half I have put on over 4 stone, I thought it was due to the steroid injections in my lower back & also had part of the discs removed. I was put on gabapentin & piled weight on but stopped these & still continued to put weight on & not loose anything, I am still on the ami could these be making the weight go on & stay? No matter what I do I cannot loose anything, it's all around my stomach & my face looks swollen all the time. Any info would be great

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi, if you are on steroids that can definitely make you put on weight. It gives you a "moon" face etc. I think amitriptalyine does make you put on weight but many doctors won't agree with that. I stopped in November and I have lost weight but very slowly and I haven't actually tried. Mind you I find sleeping so difficult and that is exhausting. You haven't said why you take it. Gabapentin is evil so pleased you not on that. 100mgs is a huge dose, are you eating more? You could use my fitness pal and see how many calories you really are eating. I wouldn't do anything without a serious chat with yr doctor. Have you tried Bowen therapy or one of the other alternative therapies? You could try one of those along side conventional medicine and see how you get on. Sorry not a lot of help
    • Posted

I got put on it because of my back pain & not sleeping. Since stopping I cannot sleep properly some nights, my whole body blew up at one point & my eyes look slated & sunk into my face, my stomach is huge & all at the front & back along with my face. I only now have the steroid injections every 6m. I've not taken any for over 3/4 weeks & ive come down by 3/4kgs. My appetite was not increased whilst on them & some days wouldn't eat anything but weighed myself daily & could go up 1/2kg overnight. I use my fitness pal for my walking & makes no difference to be honest. How much weight as people gained since been on this? I have put on 30+ kg in less than 6months.
  • Posted

I have heard amitriptyline can put on weight. I have been on it for 18 months now & haven't noticed any weight gain. At a guess i would say its due to the steroids
  • Posted

Took it and slammed weight on. Came off it and no other meds were working as effectively so back on it again. Am trying to exercise to lose it, has collected around my stomach and thighs. Have a bit of a circular face too but not quite moon. Going to get gym back on track once I feel bit better.
  • Posted

Thanks, I stopped the gabapentin as I thought it was that but I've continued to get bigger & bigger,I take it to help with nerve pain & I have a bad back 2 slipped discs, I've had the steroid injections into my lower back. I can go days without eating & weigh myself & put over 2lb a day on. No matter what I've tried I've lost a few lbs and that's it. 
    • Posted

Do you ever go swimming, just an idea, could help with your pain also physio for back, ask your GP see what he thinks about it too. Plus weight management, I'm not saying its an was fix, course you ask Dr about other meds? Either way chat with him about it, you could get free gym referral by your nurse too by booking appointment with her and telling her you are worried about your weight.
    • Posted

Ita an easy fix* damn phone sorry lol
  • Posted

I was going swimming 3/4 weeks and still not loosing anything, I've had numerous physio sessions & it doesn't help. I've had part of my discs removed & yesterday had more sleeve root nerve blocks. I'm limited to what I can do due to the pain & limited movement, I'm also scared I case I get more further injury to my back. Drs are aware of weight gain & just say if the media help with some of the pain then not to worry about weight but being 5st heavier is no good for my back. 
    • Posted

Hm sorry. I have to look at what I eat, drugs in taking, exercise, I don't know what else to suggest other than med change or maybe something to counteract the weight, ill be asking my Dr that when I see him. Sorry. Nick.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.