Can Anyone ever walk barefoot again?

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I was diagnosed with plantar fasciitis 1 year ago. I had alot of pain for about 6 months and it has lessened since then. I started wearing superfeet inserts and recovery sandals at all times. Now I feel no pain when I wear shoes or the sandals. But I still feel some pain come if I try to walk barefoot. I'm afraid if I walk barefoot I could reinjure it again. Once you get plantar fasciitis can you ever walk barefoot again or wear normal shoes with no inserts? 

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I was wondering similar as I am getting fed up having to keep shoes on indoors. 

You our may get some replies which absolutely advocate barefoot walking. 

My podiatrist said no to this for me but I am waiting to see an orthopaedic doctor. 

I suppose it also depends on your arches and possibly body weight. I am overweight so I suspect this aggrevates the pain. I tried to walk on sand in January but it was excruciating. 

Let us know what you decide. 

• Posted

Sorry but possibly not, I wear slippers around the house with a gel heel pad in them and that seems fine but I do the stretching exercises several times a day and even just curling your toes up untill you feel the calf muscles hurting then hold it for a minute or two while i am watching TV keeps me pain free. As soon as I walk barefoot or with slippers with no gel heel pad it hurts soi I take that as a warning and get my padded slippers. First thing in the morning I can still feel it but that pain is nothing compared to what it has been. I am still on one indometacin painkiller a day for my knee so that may also help the pf but I think it is the heel pads that make the difference.

I'm off skiing tomorrow and I do have PF inserts in my ski boots which makes them more comfortable.

• Posted

I think we're doomed never to walk in flat surfaces again though I'm sure body weight has something to do with it. I wear Crocs and they are the best in house footwear because they are soft under foot and give support. Flip flops, slouch style boots and ballet pumps are the worst type of footwear for PF. 
  • Posted

Ap1008:  I don't know as I've only had PF a couple of months and I still have a very slight tenderness in my heel.  If it's like so many other body ailments, I expect in 6 to 12 months it will be completely healed.  So for now I wear sox and padded heel wraps all the time, except in the shower.  Easy for a guy.  Not so for a gal.  doknabox
  • Posted

I always wear slippers at home. I bought a spenco slipper with an arch at amazon. It really helped me so much! My feet gets pain once I go barefoot for a long time. I will do ESWT this Monday at the doctor! 
  • Posted

Personally I think barefoot is out for a while. But if you get a padded heel wrap you can walk
  • Posted

I wear orthotics made by my foot doctor for plantar fascitis & heel spur. I can not walk barefoot because of severe pain with both. I go to foot doctor Wednesday to discuss surgery for heel spur.
  • Posted

I wear orthotics made by my foot doctor for plantar fascitis & heel spur. I can not walk barefoot because of severe pain with both. I go to foot doctor Wednesday to discuss surgery for heel spur.
  • Posted

I am enjoying a nice pain free period and also wear Crocs around the house, and use a gel heel insert in other shoes. The only flipflops I sometims wear are Reebok Easytone which have a well cushioned sole and heel

I can walk barefoot on my woodblock floor with no problems but don't do it much because of fear of the dreaded pf returning.

All of us know the horrendous pain and so won't play with fire and do anything to possiby risk a return of pf.

• Posted

I wear Spenco slippers at home! It has very good arch support. I can only wear barefoot when I am in the shower. As best as possible, I wear orthotic slippers that is waterproof. I usually buy a size 8 so I can wear socks! I am a size 6.
  • Posted

Hi there, ive had this condition for over a year now, ive tried every possible thing there is to get rid of it.

The bare foot thing... Well I live in spain which is very hot i the summer and it is a very big problem wearing closed in shoes or trainers in the summer months

I have had 3 times cortizone injections into my feet recommended by a professional tramatologo.

I would never get anymore it relieves heavy pain for maximum 3 months then it comes back with a vengance even worse.

I have orthopedic plantillas in my shoes always.

and I always go barefoot at home even thou it is painful

I did hot and cold water feet baths for months they helped but didnt cure.

I also tried magnesium oil rub into my feet and massage for about 10 mins. that does help alot but doesnt get rid of it.

ive done the taping up also

ive been to a proffesional phisio and paid for massages daily for 2 weeks, which was very expensive and very painful. helped a lot but didnt cure.

My latest and greatest idea is as follows.....

soak ny feet in hot water for a while. then i rub into the feet heat gel and i blow dry me feet with the hairdryer on hot air for at liest 10 mins each foot while massaging the feet.

It has helped me a real lot I am almost pain ferr today.. but still hv my special shoes and soles in.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.