Hydrocele - Advice Neded

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi

I have a hydrocele and the doctor said he would be happy to do the surgery soon. The hydrocel is 53mm. I have looked at some of the information available here and there seems to be a lot to take in. I had a look on youtube and in fairness the operation is fairly sensitive.

From people who went through it, how big was your hydrocel? I have no idea if 53cc is considered big although it's 3 times the size of my normal testes.

Are you happy you did the surgery? Was the recovery easy? I see all sorts of information here including people mentioning infertility because of hydrocels.

Based on your own experiences, any advice or feedback is much appreciated.

Thank you,

P

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I dont remember the size of the hyrocele, but it was about 3 times the size also.  I was around 70 when I had the operation...and am happy I had it.  It slows you down for a month...but then most things were back to normal.  You will be surprised at the amount of swelling after...but that is temporary.  The testicle will have a small lump on the back where the lining is bunched so it cant retain fluid anymore.  Be sure to wear support like a jock strap for about a month after the surgery...for comfort and to help with the swelling.  Follow all directions!!
    • Posted

Thank you Ken, I will follow your advice. One thing I came across that stood out on the forums what mention of Hydroceles having an impact on fertility. Did you always have yours and if you don't mind me asking did it have any impact on fertility? I was surprised to read this.

Thank you for the advice

Pat

• Posted

Mine wasn't that big probably 3 times the size of the normal testicle from what I have read and from what my doc told me it won't have effect on fertility(I already had my kids by the time I got mine though). Can't say I'm satisfied with the results but still glad I had the surgery it's definitely better than before the surgery. My testicle remained 2x it's normal size after 2 surgeries from what I have read and from responses on this site I guess it happens. You will feel where they pinned the membrane to the back of the testicle after surgery. Ice ice and more ice will help after surgery wear briefs or use the scrotum support they give you at the hospital in would also suggest staying off your feet for the first week and don't do any heavy lifting for a good month because there will be plenty of swelling.
    • Posted

Thank you Pat. I am very grateful for feedback and advice.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.