Apologies

Posted , 7 users are following.

Apologies to anyone expecting a reply from me which never came, I have been quite poorly for some time. The details are quite boring but I am transitioning from PV to Acute Myeloid Leukaemia and I am waiting for a hospital bed so that I can start a course of intense aggressive chemotherapy. Until then I think that I still qualify for this forum.

Although I am not one of the “old hands”, I was diagnosed in 1998 and have been on monthly venesections and 10.5 grammes of Hydroxycarbamide a week for practically all of that time, I recognise most of the side effects that have been posted recently; hair thinning, occasional insomnia, difficulty in keeping my weight under control, personality change, more skin cancers than I can remember and more recently heart palpitations. However, for most of that time I have lived a normal life, if you discount the hours spent in hospital waiting rooms!

I joined this forum because I was looking for help on living with an enlarged spleen. It seems that this is not a common problem and for most of my time my spleen was large but not enormous, it is now enormous and I am still taking Hydroxycarbamide (the wonder drug of the age?) in a bid to keep it under control.

In short, keep taking the tablets and you can live for ever.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Dear patient friend:

You have been given a great challenge and prayers are with you.

I, personally have Never taken any oral meds for this disease and have had poly v

for 4yrs. with phlebotomies every other week.  The only problem

concern for me is DVT (which I have had).  I am in my senior years. 

Are you able to get a Second opinion for treatment???

• Posted

Sorry to hear that.

I have the enlarged spleen as well but after having a large amount of tumours (non cancerous) the spleen is not hurting.

Hope you get the bed soon so your treatment can start.

• Posted

You joined the forum for a good reason and they seem to be fair objectives 2 me. WE are not  personal buddies, you will be in my daily prayers and others have beat this illness or lived with it a lifetime. Just never give up and with all our prayers behind you I hope you fair well

BUG

• Posted

I'm sorry to hear that you are in such a poor state of health. I wish you well for the future.
    • Posted

So sorry for your worse diagnosis.  Did any of your meds cause this?
  • Posted

Please try prayer.  I noted that this option has not been mentioned.  i am in my

3rd cancer and through prayer and faith in the fact that I will be healed...I am

now in remission of two of them.  I will also beat PV...without medicine

I have had PV for 3yrs. now and only had lab work followed by phlebotomies.

I had a strict diet of NO red meats, veggies high in iron e.g. kale, spinace and

I drink at least 50oz water daily plus walk as long as I can.  I will admit that when

i do not follow my own regime I falter.  I know you cannot do all of what I suggest

at this time...but at least start with faith in prayer.  God Bless you...you will get

better...I am praying for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.