umbicial hernia

Posted , 12 users are following.

has anyone had this surgery my doctor said i'm better off doing it while it is small please some im put and has anyone had it with the mesh with problems?

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Dawn I had an op for an epigastric hernia and would advise not to have a mesh!!! I had a 2nd op a couple of days ago to remove the mesh that was found to have moved and gone into a crumpled ball and the area was more than what the surgeon thought needed repairing. I was in agony prior to the 2nd surgery.

Find a surgeon that can perform the 'shouldice' repair which is what my 2nd surgeon has done. If your in UK I can give you his name. Although he has had patients as far as USA.

• Posted

Hi Dawn. Mine was a large incisional hernia repaired using mesh. I'm replying briefly because I haven't had any problems with the mesh and it was described as being the size of a 'large dinner plate.' Best wishes. 

• Posted

I had an inguinal hernia repaired 2 days ago. I was undecided whether to have it done, because it was small and not giving trouble, but the GP said better while it is small as it won't go away. I was worried about it causing more trouble after repair than without. No mesh, just stitched up. I hate hospitals and don't trust doctors, but the operation didn't bother me, the people were so good. The surgeon reassured me it was best before he did it, and immediately after I came round the first thing I did was wiggle my toes and move my leg to make sure I wasn't paralysed or maimed for life! I was re-assured that movement was exactly the same as before, and 2 days after I am being careful but moving around up and down stairs perfectly. My situation doesn't exactly match yours, different hernia, but I am pleased to add good feedback to all the horror stories you read.

I waited 8 months for the operation, and 2 weeks before I was still undecided, but I went and I am sure I will be back to normal active life fairly soon.

• Posted

I had an umbilical hernia. They fixed it just three weeks after I got it when it was still small. They were planning to put a mesh in it, but changed their mind during the surgery because it was still so small. I also had an inguinal hernia that they did put a mesh in. no problems with either. Good Luck
  • Posted

I had the surgery 7 weeks ago and my biggest problem is I have lots of gas but seems to be getting better. I haven't had ant problem with the mesh, I didn't know they were going to use mesh.

Most important is to get a doctor that has done many of these type of surgeries. It takes 1 year to completely heal and my bms still need help.

Jo

• Posted

I had a small umbilical hernia that was repaired 4 years ago (when I was 60 years old) with sutures and have a nice innie with visible scars and with no complications. I was back to work 2 days after the surgery. Before the operation, the surgeon said that since the hernia was small, that a repair with mesh would not be necessary, and he was right. I'm surprised your surgeon is recommending the operation and recommending using mesh. My surgeon indicated that with the small size of the hernia, The repair was considered elective surgery , and that many people declined the surgery with "watchful waiting" with no problems.
    • Posted

* no visible scars
  • Posted

I had a small umbilical hernia that was repaired 4 years ago (when I was 60 years old) with sutures and have a nice innie with visible scars and with no complications. I was back to work 2 days after the surgery. Before the operation, the surgeon said that since the hernia was small, that a repair with mesh would not be necessary, and he was right. I'm surprised your surgeon is recommending the operation and recommending using mesh. My surgeon indicated that with the small size of the hernia, The repair was considered elective surgery , and that many people declined the surgery with "watchful waiting" with no problems.
  • Posted

* I had no visible scars from the repair, sorry for typo.
  • Posted

I have had multiple and reoccurring hernias...I do agree to have it repaired while small,it's easier. I would not get a mesh repair ever again,I suffered for over twenty years with mesh related pain and misery with mesh complications because my body rejected it from the start!! I recommend not letting them use mesh,as the mesh is in there it can cause what's called meshoma .What this means is the mesh shrinks,and gets hard and can ball up,causing a lot of pain.I recently had a umbilical,and right and left inguinal hernia repair done without mesh.I was also very blessed to find a excellent surgeon in Beverly Hills Ca,named Dr.Leslie Memsic,who is willing and able to do repairs with or without using mesh.It is getting very hard to find hernia surgeons who will do repairs without mesh.
  • Posted

My surgeon was so excellent! The incisions were tiny,and are barely visible,especially the repair done on the umbilical hernia!
  • Posted

I was diagnosed with a 5cm hernia about 18 months ago and also fibroids which were more serious.I ended up having a hysterectomy and they were going to try and find a consultant who could repair my hernia at the same time but that didn't happen.Different people have different opinions but generall I have been told not to worry about it.I had to have a scan for some thing else but when I get my follow up appointment in June I will ask how big the hernia was when the scan was done.Do you think that the hernia should be repaired?
  • Posted

hi dawn just wanted to share my experience with you as sometimes it can go wrong and cause a lot of upset do not take surgery lightly although what i am/ have gone through is very rare.

I had a strangulated umbilical hernia about 7 years ago and had to have it done as an emergency as had cut the blood supply to belly button, they repaired with mesh and al was well until mid 2014 when i had an insicional hernia from the scar to previous hernia repair by dec 2014 i was so ill being sick in pain fever was taken in to hospital as an emergency i had developed an infection in the mesh and had trapped the bowl had the surgery then all okay until may 2015 when i got the same symptoms taken with another re-ocuurent insicional hernia they again found an infection in the mesh and bowel trapped this time they renewed mesh but had to cut out some bowel was in hospital fot 2 weeks then got out two weeks after discharge i had a lot of fluid coming from the wound went to the doctors and sent back into hospital again more emergency surgey to repairanother hernia on the left side and again more bowel removed was in for a further 3 weeks on loads of meds.Had been doing well untill beginning of this year when i noticed another hernia an epigastric as the iscional one they repaired has now worked its way up through the mesh.I am booked in for major surgery in june where they will repair the new hernia take out all the old mesh and then now replace with pig skin. I havent posted this to scare you and like i must stress i am really a very rare case but when i had the first surgery i never thought it would end up like this i have not worked for 2 years i am in constant pain due to the amount of surgerys i cant do things like put socks on etc i just thinkpeople need to be aware of what can go wrong although it is only a 2% of cases that end like mine

• Posted

Sorry to hear that i had herina repaired useing mesh about 5 yeats ago for the past few months im having bother do u mind me asking you what symptoms did u have when u started to have problems 7 yeats after your1st op

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.