Bilateral ankle pain/swelling diagnosed as gout. Responding well to Prednisone. Doubtful of diagnosi

Posted , 3 users are following.

Current meds: Metropolol Succinate XL, Fluoxetine, Amlodipine (Norvasc). Was prescribed Wellbutrin XL on 2.8.2016 and took that up until 3.28.2016 when my prescription was discontinued.

A little over three weeks ago (3.13.2016) I woke up with pain and swelling in my ankles as well as pain in the heels of both feet. After two days of the pain worsening I went to the ER (3.15.2016) where, upon a visual inspection, the doctor diagnosed it as cellulitis and prescribed antibiotics. Two days later, the pain persisted so I visited my family doctor where I was prescribed Prednisone and had blood labs performed (3.17.2016). I took the Prednisone that day and by the next morning I could walk again. The pain and swelling had disappeared completely.

The tests that were performed were:

Uric Acid (6.8 mg/dL)

Lyme (Negative)

Rheumatoid Factor (11 IU/mL)

Sedimentation Rate (42 mm/hour)

Compr Metab Panel

CBC/Diff – with flags for for the following components: (WBC: 11.83 K/uL; MPV: 11.8 fL; SEGS: 76%; LYMPHS: 12%; ABS. SEGS: 8.96 K/uL)

The Prednisone was a tapered 10-day dosage, and on the day of my last dose (3.26.2016) the pain began to return and was even worse than it was before. On 3.28.2016 I went to the ER and was admitted for testing and observation.

While in the hospital (3/28/2016), in addition to ultrasounds for DVT/blood clots (negative), they ran another series of blood labs:

Uric Acid (6.7 mg/dL)

CRP, Low Sensitivity (18 mg/L)

Rheumatoid Factor (11 IU/mL)

Sedimentation Rate (24 mm/hour)

Compr Metab Panel

CBC/Diff – with flags for for the following components: (WBC: 12.25 K/uL; SEGS: 80%; LYMPHS: 10%; ABS. SEGS: 9.76 K/uL)

25-Hydroxy Vitamin D (16 ng/mL)

Complement C3 (185 mg/dL)

Complement C4 (32 mg/dL)

ANA (Negative)

CCP IGG AB (<16 units)

that night they gave me more prednisone and when i woke up the next morning the pain and swelling were gone and i could walk again. they ran another battery of labs that day, with slight changes in the cbc/diff. i was also visited by a rheumatologist who diagnosed the whole thing as gout and gave me a 20-day tapered dosage of prednisone and then discharged me. the results of the labs from the day i was discharged (3.29.2016) were:

hepatitis c antibody (negative)

hep b surface antigen (negative)

cbc/diff – with flags for for the following components: (wbc: 11.90 k/ul; segs: 87%; lymphs: 9%; abs. segs: 10.35 k/ul)

for the first 5 days i was out, i was taking 20mgs of prednisone per day and everything has been fine. the last two days i have been taking 15mgs of prednisone. the problem is that last night i experienced some minor swelling and this morning there is a little swelling as well some pain. my fear is that once i taper off the prednisone the whole thing is going to become awful again and i will spend more time in the er/hospital with no one being able to figure out what is actually wrong with me. what else should i be telling them to test for? what are they missing? can this really only be gout? the doctors i met with all seemed a bit perplexed by the whole thing so the final diagnosis was not exactly reassuring. units)="" that="" night="" they="" gave="" me="" more="" prednisone="" and="" when="" i="" woke="" up="" the="" next="" morning="" the="" pain="" and="" swelling="" were="" gone="" and="" i="" could="" walk="" again.="" they="" ran="" another="" battery="" of="" labs="" that="" day,="" with="" slight="" changes="" in="" the="" cbc/diff.="" i="" was="" also="" visited="" by="" a="" rheumatologist="" who="" diagnosed="" the="" whole="" thing="" as="" gout="" and="" gave="" me="" a="" 20-day="" tapered="" dosage="" of="" prednisone="" and="" then="" discharged="" me.="" the="" results="" of="" the="" labs="" from="" the="" day="" i="" was="" discharged="" (3.29.2016)="" were:="" hepatitis="" c="" antibody="" (negative)="" hep="" b="" surface="" antigen="" (negative)="" cbc/diff="" –="" with="" flags="" for="" for="" the="" following="" components:="" (wbc:="" 11.90="" k/ul;="" segs:="" 87%;="" lymphs:="" 9%;="" abs.="" segs:="" 10.35="" k/ul)="" for="" the="" first="" 5="" days="" i="" was="" out,="" i="" was="" taking="" 20mgs="" of="" prednisone="" per="" day="" and="" everything="" has="" been="" fine.="" the="" last="" two="" days="" i="" have="" been="" taking="" 15mgs="" of="" prednisone.="" the="" problem="" is="" that="" last="" night="" i="" experienced="" some="" minor="" swelling="" and="" this="" morning="" there="" is="" a="" little="" swelling="" as="" well="" some="" pain.="" my="" fear="" is="" that="" once="" i="" taper="" off="" the="" prednisone="" the="" whole="" thing="" is="" going="" to="" become="" awful="" again="" and="" i="" will="" spend="" more="" time="" in="" the="" er/hospital="" with="" no="" one="" being="" able="" to="" figure="" out="" what="" is="" actually="" wrong="" with="" me.="" what="" else="" should="" i="" be="" telling="" them="" to="" test="" for?="" what="" are="" they="" missing?="" can="" this="" really="" only="" be="" gout?="" the="" doctors="" i="" met="" with="" all="" seemed="" a="" bit="" perplexed="" by="" the="" whole="" thing="" so="" the="" final="" diagnosis="" was="" not="" exactly="">

that night they gave me more prednisone and when i woke up the next morning the pain and swelling were gone and i could walk again. they ran another battery of labs that day, with slight changes in the cbc/diff. i was also visited by a rheumatologist who diagnosed the whole thing as gout and gave me a 20-day tapered dosage of prednisone and then discharged me. the results of the labs from the day i was discharged (3.29.2016) were:

hepatitis c antibody (negative)

hep b surface antigen (negative)

cbc/diff – with flags for for the following components: (wbc: 11.90 k/ul; segs: 87%; lymphs: 9%; abs. segs: 10.35 k/ul)

for the first 5 days i was out, i was taking 20mgs of prednisone per day and everything has been fine. the last two days i have been taking 15mgs of prednisone. the problem is that last night i experienced some minor swelling and this morning there is a little swelling as well some pain. my fear is that once i taper off the prednisone the whole thing is going to become awful again and i will spend more time in the er/hospital with no one being able to figure out what is actually wrong with me. what else should i be telling them to test for? what are they missing? can this really only be gout? the doctors i met with all seemed a bit perplexed by the whole thing so the final diagnosis was not exactly reassuring.>

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi,noticed this post was three months ago.wondering how your ankles are now?
  • Posted

The tapering is the key for the treatment end up successfully.

Take care.

• Posted

I haveTemporal Artheritis (GCA) there are 3 years.

No PMR associated with.

On Prednisone.

Just adding some info about me

As I will follow this discussion we will have the chance

to exchange our experiences.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.