Tramadol withdraw

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi guys

I'm currently reducing of tramadol I was on 4 x100mls a day I'm now on 150mls a day 3 x50mls I've reduced to this amount over the past months but I keep getting these strange feelings in my head it's hard to explain but it feels like I'm gonna fall over the inside of my head feels like it's being squeezed "I.e someone's got my brain in there hands squeezing it" it's throws my balance and sort a feels like I'm gonna pass out but then it go's. It happens a few times a day and can be quite scary at times does any one have ideas or has anyone else had this side effect. I've been on trams for over 2 years now and this is probably the 3rd or 4th time I've reduced as I kept buggering up its so hard to get off this stuff

Tony

2 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

There is a little gizmo you can buy from your pharmacy that cuts pills in half (and half again if you needed to).  Instead of cutting back a whole tab, try half, you will still get the fuzzy feeling, but nowhere near what you are feeling right now.  If they are capsules; break them open and just scoop hal (or quarter) into food. Keep doing so until your body gets used to it, wait a little longer after that, then come down by another half (or quarter). It is a longer way round, but it is worth it in the long run. Drink more water than you normally do.  If you are into food (and are not on any other medication), do a detox, follow a regime for a week or 2, that way your system will be cleansed and you will feel better.  If you do go down that route, suggest you stock up properly as there will be days when you just cant be bothered
  • Posted

Hi Tony,

I used to be in a very similar situation as yourself, but the way my own GP got me off them. Basically, she was asked to do this by my Neurologist - so this way is very easy, and is based on the levels of Tramadol in your system at any given time.

This is what I had to do.. and still doing!

My Tramadol doses were 50mg tablets and the highest dose was 400mg a day, so 8 tabs a day. It was okay, but I was getting more problems with other medication reacting with the Tramadol.

I was switched to 50mg SR Tramadol, basically what this does is keep the level of Tramadol in your system 24/7 at the same level, because they are slow release.

1st week was drop by 50mg SR for two weeks, then carry on this method dropping 50mg off at various times a day.

My target is 1 x Tramadol 50mg SR at night and one in the morning, this would mean my level of Tramdol in my body would be just 50mg at any point of the day.

Trying to get off tramadol on 50mg tablets is harder, because when you take them they will get into your system and then 'spike' at some point, this is when you will feel bad, because the Tramadol 'spike' is the full 50 mg at one point, then it drops off sharply. Hence, if you look at a SAW blade you would see the teeth spikes and thats how tramadol hits your system on tablets, capsules are easier, by a long way!

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

yea, you'll get some pretty weird sensations coming off of this crap--i was taking 800 mgs a day for 3 years --took me 3 months to wean my self off of it ---don't reduce too much at one time ,  try like coming down 50 mgs every 2 weeks --if possible cut them in half when you get down to 100 mgs , and drop 25 mgs a week---you can do it---you need someone in your corner , be it a spouse , good friend  etc ---don't keep it a secret
  • Posted

Yes it's normal, but try to be strong. Tell a trusted adult or physician what you're dealing with and ask a physician for Klonopin or Xanax if possible. I fell twice when I stopped cold turkey and it could be dangerous. I couldn't drive either, but like I said, I did cold turkey. Be well and keep us posted.
  • Posted

Are these effects very transitory, passing in just a few seconds?
  • Posted

The dreaded "brain zaps"... it happens due to withdrawal from the antidepressant aspect of tramadol. They're weird, very uncomfortable but theyll go away!
    • Posted

Yeah, that happened to me when I  stopped taking Paxil. The individual "zaps" themselves weren't unpleasant, but their incessantly repeating nature got old fast.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.