HIGH PROLACTIN LEVELS...

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had my hormone levels tested and the results came back saying i had high prolactin so they requested i have another blood test a few weeks later and that also came back with the same results i also have had low blood pressure and feeling nausea and getting headaches so have been told i need to go to hospital for further tests would i have to have an mri?? And i have also been very moody snapping all the time be good to get some answers

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi!

Yes I think you should definitely get an MRI, I had all of your symptoms plus anxiety and depression and it was all caused by a prolactinoma. I got an MRI just in case and they found a very big one, so thank goodness! If not it would have gotten even worse. So definitely get checked!

• Posted

I agree with Julian 100%, my earlier reply is being moderated, hopefully you will see it soon. Check out the pituitary foundation page, lots of free booklets.
  • Posted

Hi Shontell, it could be a number of things affecting your prolactin levels. Have a look at the Pituitary org website it has some really informative free booklets to download about the Pituitary gland. Yes you may have a CT scan before an MRI but if it isn't suggested, ask for it to be done to help find a diagnosis. My blood tests were done after the CT and MRI as my tumour was found incidently. I had some symptoms but they were not picked up. My prolactin was slightly elevated but it was due to what they call 'stalk effect', it was a Macroadenoma which was bending the stalk of the Pituitary which in turn elevated the Prolactin level.

Don't be afraid to suggest and request.

All the best.

🙂

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.