Neck position brings on aura...

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've had degerative disk disease for years, but I have yet to find a doctor who has heard of my problem or another person who has this happen to them. If I read my phone or a book for a couple minutes I will get dizzy and get an aura.  At the very least my vision will become blurry.  Can anyone relate to this?  Laurie

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Laurie. I've got degenerative disc disease too, had 2 crap (surgeon's term) discs removed at L5 and L4 ie lowest two discs and steel fixation. Still can trigger aura and migraine if I 1. Increase spinal fluid pressure in head eg pullig out weeds, tug of war with puppy etc or 2 getting my head/ spine in wrong angle eg looking up to change light bulb or reaching under a table for a dropped napkin. Just about stopped any Sig reading many years ago, too many headaches. Being careful with my triggers I've got the attacks down to about 1 a month.. Good luck

Duvet

• Posted

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to my question. Soon I will have a CAT scan to measure blood flow from neck to head, per my neurologist. Has any doctor told you why this is happening? Wondering if something is pressing on a blood vessel, or as my anesthesiologist who gives me shots thinks, the optic nerve might be being pressed.
  • Posted

Hi Laurie i have disc degeneration in my neck too plus slipping of the vertebra and two disc bulges. Can you please explain what your aura involves? I suffer dizziness also and chronic spasms of the neck and shoulder muscles. Sorry your also suffering from pain
    • Posted

Allison, thanks so much for responding. When I have an aura I get a little dizzy, then see something like clear lights with jagged zig zag edges blocking parts of what I'm looking at.  If I don't get an exact aura, I'll still see blurriness. Usually if I take an excedrin migraine pill it goes away within 1/2 hour.  I have also noticed before a migraine I experience chills, yawning or irritability.

Laurie

• Posted

Hi Laurie -

i can relate. I have had 4 rear impact vehicle collisions, a severe fall that required surgery to my jaw, a broken shoulder, and numerous other falls that have affected a healthy cervical spine.  If I sleep the wrong way, or do too much of the wrong activity my head is killing me.  It affects my sinuses, eyes, ears (ache), occipitals... But if I do any trigger point therapy I can usually relieve some of the pain (short term). I have 24/7 headaches that vary in intensity.  I have run the gammit of migraine and pain management medication but found that my cognitive awareness was affected too.much so I have weaned off everything but  Lyrica. I'm not even sure how much that is helping anymore. I do know there seems to be real connection between cervical and/or lumbar spine issues and severe headaches.  I read an article about SCM (sternoclydomastioid - you may need to look it up) issues and migraines that drew a direct parallel to the symptoms. I am 63 and have had iincreasingly intense and chronic issues for over 29 years, however, I continue my search for the clearer understanding and successful treatment.  I hope your journey goes well.

• Posted

Hi Bernie.  I appreciate you responding so much. I will look up sternoclydomastoid... I have a feeling it involves TMJ which I've had a lot! I know what you mean about cognitive awareness... I took Topomax and I heard Doctors call it "Dopamax!" (B/c it makes you dumb!  Did you ever have auras with your headaches?

Laurie

• Posted

I get the same thing.
    • Posted

Hi Kayla.  Thanks so much for responding. Did you ever get any good info or help for this?

Laurie

• Posted

My doctor chalked it up to just being part of the migraines I get, but I get them, even when I don't end up getting a migraine attack. I see them, pretty much all day.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.