Please help identifying stages .

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi. Can any of you give me examples of clarity on when you knew the stage had changed ? I don't know if I'm still in freezing or beginning frozen. Also, any tips on how NOT to think of this every minute would be great! I think I'm making it worse by dwelling on it 24/7. Thanks!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Teri

I think I am on the way to frozen right now.  This is my second (and thankfully hopefully last) time.

I think the last time the cross over from freezing to frozen was like I am going through right now.  Still plenty of pain, especially at night, but no more of that awful, OMG, toothachey pain that wakes me in tears.  Now I wake up, find a different position, clutch the pillow or balance my arm on my hip and finish my sleep.

I no longer drop to my knees if I move the arm too quickly.  I dont hold my hand up to the opposite shoulder when I walk and I no longer think about it 24/7

Remind yourself that this will get better. This will pass.  I know that is hard to do.

If you are wondering if you have started the transition, then you probably have.  

I found the pain was particularly bad and then suddenly it was just bad

In the mean tim put thoughts into finding out about the exercises that you can do, once you are frozen.  I watched some YouTube videos which really helped me a lot - Shirley LeBed I think was the woman whos exercises helped me most.  Only do what you can.  Don't do anything that that hurts.  tiny improvements are monumental.

Taking plenty of pain killers helped get me to here.  Taking ibuprofen (with/after food ony), staggered throught the day.  Filling in pain gaps with paracetamol and taking them in the middle of the night if needed.  Keeping the pain under control, even when it doesn't hurt at the time.

Now I am just on six ibuprofen plus one moloixcam at bed time.  It is a relief to just be in pain and discomfort instead of in agony.  That sounds so crazy but everyone on here will understand it.

I hope this helps a bit.  Thinkig of you and everyone out there suffering from this dreadful thing.

Colette

• Posted

Thank you so much, Colette. Your advice really helped. I feel also, that if I jolted forward unexpectedly, I wouldn't throw up from the pain. So hopefully this means I'm crossing over. Also, I have to keep telling myself this burning in my shoulder, and referred up, is part of this condition and I'm not creating it. I was 100% diagnosed by a very good ortho surgeon. I also have to stop banging my head against a wall as to how and why I have this. Hope you're feeling well. Teri
  • Posted

I agree with Colette.

Appropriate pain control is the only thing that would take my mind off it. I used low dose, long-acting codeine for 3.5 months, with or without an anti-inflammatory or muscle relaxant. In another post, I mentioned how the family doctor said he believes addictions only start if people use more narcotic than needed - like two gears working together - the narcotic fills the pain receptors. In good pain control, the pain receptors are all filled, with no excess narcotic. It's lack of sleep that gets so wearing, so the long-acting version helped some with that.

I wish I had known to ask for better pain control sooner. But then it took me months to even figure out that my arm pains were the start of FS...had never even heard of it before!

Keep reading lots and being distracted on the forum. I so appreciate the stories here!

Liane 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.