Had My first ocular Migraine that has left me with insane anxiety

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hello there, Newbie here! Im hoping someone can help me with this issue. Last week I had my first ocular migraine. I was sitting on my phone and noticed a small flashing dot in the center of my vision. It was like when you look at something bright then look away. I thought it was from starring at my phone to long. So I got up, and tried calming down. I tried texting my husband and noticed there were missing letters that I could not see. I also had these blurry lines running across my vision. I called 911 and had a massive panic attack thinking I was having a stroke or going blind. By the time they got to my house they had gone away. I also went outside to get air, and came back inside and that made it 100x worse. My entire perphieal vision was flashing. Anyways they ran blood work, ekg and monitored my heart for two hours. Diagnosed ocular migraine and he told me the first one is always scary and nothing to worry about. ( I see my regular dr tomorrow) Now I am having insane anxiety thinking something is really wrong like I am gonna go blind, have another attack or I have a brain tumor. I am terrified of getting another one of these. I dont even want to leave my house in case it happens and I am alone. Can anyone help alleviate some of this fear for me? I am going mad consintrating on my vision 24.7

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I'm sure most people who experience them for the first time feel the same way.  Its a terrifying experience no doubt.  Its good to hear all your tests came back normal. Try to identify a trigger that might have caused your migraine,  an unusual food you ate, your mood and stress levels, even the weather or lightening enviroment. 
  • Posted

Ok so when you was being checked over and having tests, they would have picked up all the nasty things you are worrying about.

I know its scary, I also get hemaplegic migraine where my left side is really weak and I cant stand, this is scary too and it hospitalises me for a few days until its past.

Its easy to to say, oh dont worry, but try not, The nasty things have already been eliminated, so try to rest easy.

Good luck tomorrow and leeo us informed how you get on

• Posted

Thank you for responding. My doctor was not concerned one bit. I had a mri 3 years ago that was completely normal. And I thibk I had these ocular migraines when I was pregnant before the mri. They were these raining silver things that would come about my vision randomly. I never found out what they were but think it was ocular migraine. My doctor told me as soon as I see it happening, take ibprofen and let it pass. I'm still freaked out that I'll have a massive panic attack. Or I'll be somewhere where I csnt see or driving. That freaks me out the most
    • Posted

it might be an idea to practice relaxation techniques, this will help calm the panic attacks,  I am surprised he didnt give you sonething to take as soon as you start gett vision problems, this is the aurora before the main symptoms,  If you take it then it usually stops it developing,

So maybe worth asking about that.

You will be ok when driving, just pull over and take your meds or Ibuprofen then let it pass.

Good luck and keep us posted

• Posted

I agree with the other comments. Don't worry! I get migraines a lot...With auras frequently.  Instead of ibuprofen though, I take Exedrin Migraine.  Have you had any neck problems? Besides all the other triggers, others mentioned, mine I'm pretty sure are also related to my neck issues. I  get dizziness, vertigo too. Watch the triggers and see a neurologist!  Good luck and write a follow up please!

Laurie 

• Posted

Thanks laurie!! I don't think I can take excedrine migraine because of the caffeine. I'm very sensitive. I went to a neuro about 3 years ago and had a mri and cat scan and it was totally normal, no issues. My doctor told me not to worry, but the whole thing scared the crap out of me and I'm left with this fear. Everyone who has them told me not to worry, but I'm finding it's hard to shake that fear
    • Posted

Hi Laurie

You mentioned neck issues?  Could you please explain.  A lot of times when I get migraines the back of my neck is affected......gets stiff and clicks.  I have to use Rizatriptan ODT for the onset of a migraine.

thanks

wendy

• Posted

I'm sorry you are still feeling fearful.  As someone who used to have a lot of anxiety, I know it's easier said than done when someone tells you not to worry.  Totally up to you, but you migh want to consider speaking to a therapist especially if you are already prone to anxiety; maybe even take some meds initially. Journaling your worries can help as well. 

Keep us posted and take care!

Laurie

• Posted

Having experienced migraines for 30 years I want to share something that has helped many sufferers to halt a migraine. As soon as the symptoms start with visual interference, take two sppons of sugar or sugar lumps. Refrain from reading and rest your eyes if possible and within 10 -15 minutes the symptoms will be gone. The headache may follow but much more treatable with painkillers. It's worked for me every time for years and enabled me to resume work straight away. Whatever your symptoms there's no harm in trying this. Those with flashing lights won't believe the way it works, it even stops my nausea as well as reducing any pain in the headache that may follow, it changed my life being able to stay at work. Give it a chance if you can manage a few spoonfuls of sugar!
  • Posted

To you or to anyone that may need help .

I'm no doctor nor scientist ,however I read many forums about Occular Migraine .

After doing so many have the same start . It's the cell phone light .

• Posted

Hello. Ok, I've been having ocular migraines since I'm around 12 (1st time I remember having one) and  I'm close to 60 and just had one the other day.  Back then, no one even knew what they were.  It was very terrifying growing up with these and not knowing what was wrong.  I've worn glasses since I'm about 7 or 8 full time and when my mom took me to the eye dr. back then when I was 12 after telling her what happened he had no idea what it was and said, perhaps its an allergy or something.  When he did a complete check of my eyes, it showed nothing was wrong. So I learned to live with them and as I got older, I worried less about it.   Also, I get my eyes checked every few years since I wear glasses for nearsightedness and they've never found anything abnormal. Now, sometimes I won't have one for years, then all of a sudden, I will get one out of nowhere.  Alas, about 15 years ago I got a new dr. and during an eye check I mentioned my migraines and loss of vision, flashes, etc. because I had one a few days before that check up, and she said Oh, you get ocular migraines? So I said is that what it is?  She said yes and went on to do a full eye check up with drops, lights, etc. on me and said that I was fine.  She explained to me that it actually occurs in the brain, not the eyes.  She also did day that women who get them are more at risk for a certain type of stroke.  She suggested to me to take Execedrin Migraine or 600 mg. of Ibuprofen if and when I feel one coming on, to try and just relax until it passes and drink a lot of water.  I hope this helps with your anxiety.

• Posted

Me to a few days ago had one and a few since I am scared to move out now have been a anxiety sufferer for 20 years now anxiety threw the roof .It was horrible was watching to then it came flashing and zig zags just like wen the tv is got no signal .I am terrified hospital said was post viral as membranes was swollen xxxx feel for you I no how are feeling 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.