Still recovering from surgey and pressure from employer

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am just under 3 months post op now ; I had double bunionectomy and toes realigned with pins put in ; my job involves a lot of standing and walking between several buildings and going up stairs etc ; so my gp has signed me off for a bit longer , 5 weeks in fact which will take me to just under 4 months post op ; however since this happened which was yesterday , I have had 2 emails from my employer clearly putting pressure on me to return to work and ignore medical advice ; this is really stressing me and I can t think it s going to help the recovery ; I can t walk well and I can only wear one or two pairs of shoes ; i find this pressure unacceptable and I was just wondering if anybody out there is goin through the same thing or has any words of advice for me ?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

If you belong to a trade union, contact your union rep and discuss the matter with him/her .  This is just the sort of thing that unions are good at. It is important that when you reply to the emails you get the wording right, and the rep should help ypu with that.  
  • Posted

Union rep or join Union. I had a breakdown at work from being pushed too hard. I was unwilling for the doctor to sign me off for stress but that's what it was. Work harassed me in the same way. The union wrote them a letter. I was silly and went back too early out of dedication but you are off for a reason. Take the full time off with no contact from employer. Relax. Check if you can go on holiday. You will not relax if you get contact from employer
    • Posted

Thanks Brenda yes I have contacted my union and I will try to bear your advice in mind i e not to contact the employer and try to relax , the only thing is it is not going to be easy going back when I do have to go back
  • Posted

Oh Chris thats awful. My Surgeon told me last week that my employer should not contact me. I have a job with long shifts and standing. I am almost 4 weeks post op having one foot-bunion and hamme toe straightening. I was given a certificate for 8 weeks after my op in the hospital, I had told my manager that I would be back n 6 weeks.I had totally underestimated my recovery for one foot. I have only just started weight bearing but I still need crutches alot which concerns me. Having th k wire has made things much worse than  had anticipated, if only psychologically! I am due to gt my wire removed 6 weeks post op and then to return to work 2 days after. I know theres plenty of time yet but I doubt I will be fit..stressing me out a bit. I hope your union rep supports you its a dreadful feeling. You must put yourself first and not go back until you feel ready ( this is what my husband keeps telling me!). I hope that you can concentrate on your recovery. Please take care put your feet up and take the phone off the hook!  

smile 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.