Amitriptyline 10mg for headaches and anxiety please share

Posted , 31 users are following.

Hi, I am new to the forum.

​I have struggled for many years with health and general anxiety, i am at a ppoint now that I have to hold my hands up and admit I cant do this on my own anymore.

​I am on day 3 of taking the amitriptyline, i am scared every time i take it, what could happen.

​Please can you ahre your experiicene, if you have taken ami for the reasons i shared and has it worked for you.

​I have a busy job, mum and wife and need to be able to still do all these things.

​Also, i enjoy a glass of wine, can you ahve a drink, miss a dose??

​I look forward to the replys.

3 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Both me and my best friend is on ami. In my case its 10 mg for depression and anxiety. It helps me, no doubt, and no bi effects yet. I had some glasses of wine with it and all good. If i go out for a wet evening i skip that days pill.

My friend have neuro pains and very resistant to pills. So hes on 120 mg and almost no effect except get to sleep on it.

He says ami very good for his anxiety but not good over time as he needs high doses and gives bi effects. He cant drink at all on ami.

No need to be afraid taking it smile

• Posted

Thanks for your comment it is reassuring to hear other peoples experiences.

I am going to stick with it and see. I already miss my wine, and only been 4 days. Not that I drank every night, but almost most weekends.

Thanks again

• Posted

Hi Jackie

I suffered for 5 months with tension headaches and tried physio & acupuncture in the end I agreed with my Gp to try amitripline.

It worked and my headaches have gone I have tried to reduce from 10mg to 5 mg by cutting tablets but as soon as I do the headaches starts again.

The only side effect I have encountered is a dry mouth.

Hope this helps good luck

• Posted

Thanks julie1948, that really helps. I was shattered this morning had to go back to sleep when my daughter left for school.

I have had the dry mouth as well

do you drink alcohol on them?

Thanks

• Posted

Don't drink other than on holidays but I did ask my doctor and she said 10mg is a very small dose and the only side effect would be a good nights sleep.

Forgot to mention I take my tablet about 830pm then go to bed about 10pm when I wake don't feel so drowsy.

Just couldn't manage the headaches any more even paid for brain scan I was convinced I had something serious wrong with me. Never been ill before. Best wishes hope you'll soon be feeling better.

• Posted

Thanks Julie,

I was the same, but gp didn't think it was necessary for a scan at this stage. My sister passed away with cancer which was in the head so anxiety was high! I am hoping these tablets work and have some relief.

I might try a glass of wine in a couple of weeks.

Thank you again.

• Posted

Just been to see my neurologist and he suggested amitriptyline.  I was on it before but found it sedating especially if I was on an early shift.  I was on a 100 mgs but will try it again because I have headaches all the time.
    • Posted

Hi Julie.

I hope you don't mind me asking but how long did it take for your tension headaches to disappear taking 10mg amitriptyline. I have been taking it for 2 weeks for the same problem and have had a little relief but was just wondering if better results are to come smile

• Posted

Hi  I have been on them for three months, and they are much better, coming out the other side.  I starting feeling some reflief after 4 weeks.  when I am stressed i can feel them coing, but thats my anxiety as well.  but much much better after than i was back in march/April, I could have ripped my head off!!

​they have worked for me and I was so nervous before i started them, but glad i was encouraged to stick with it. 

​Good luck, hope you get some relief soon.

​j

• Posted

It took around three weeks for the 10mg to take full effect. I've have tried twice to come off the tablets by reducing and finally stopping the tablets but the headaches soon return. My Gp told me that I will probably having to stay on them for life. It's a small price to pay to be free from the tension headaches.Hope this helps .

• Posted

How long did it take to work? I am near dying from my daily headaches. Im on day 6. No help. 10mg. Im thinking bump to 25mg. Maybe needs longer to kick in???
    • Posted

Hi Kathryn, real sorry to hear that your suffering with headaches. I would definitely recommend that you up the dose. I hope your headaches gets better for you.
    • Posted

Hi julie i no this was a year ago but was wondering how long it took ur ami to kick in ive had a very heavy head and neck for a week like my neck carnt hold my head up anymore they said its tention headache and gave me 10mg of ami i really hope they work but i was wonderinng also if ur had these symptoms also as i suffer with anxiety and just carnt see a way past these headache horrible feeling tha kyou 
  • Posted

Three weeks on, ibhabe a small swelling on my left side of the neck, making me worry a bit. Anybody else had this?

• Posted

Hello Jackie2016.

Please do not worry at all about taking Amitryptaline at all, I myself have been on it for at least TWENTY YEARS & it does no harm at all, in fact it is a very safe drug to use, Please get into  the habit of taking your Tablet everyday, do not mess with your Brain as it gets so used to this Drug & it works very well when used everyday.

Yes carry on life the same as you have always done so, if you wish a few Glasses of wine NO PROBLEM , I would advise to take it slowly at first though, in other words NOT A WHOLE BOTTLE. Please remember that with time you will be well on Amitryptaline & you will enjoy a new life, but take care to start with & do not drink too much Alchohol. Two or three Glasses is fine but, if you drink too much you will feel it more with the AMITRYPTALINE AS WELL,,so just be patient , do not worry * take your time & you will be well again. from Jackie x

• Posted

Hello,

I am interested to know the dose you're on, your age, if you have had any sexuality problems while being on Aimytriptline.

Also if you have ever tried to go off the medication, it would be great to share with me the withdrawal effects (if any)

Thanks

• Posted

Hello I was at one time on about 150mg to 300mg per day for Post Traumatic Stress, ie Chronic Depression & Anxiety. I was at the time living in S, Africa & feared for my Families Life & my own, it was very dangerous.

I was about 38years old when I was put on them I am now nearing 70years old but, I am still very young to look at & I am very young at heart

I have had very bad sexual problems on Amitryptaline, no interest plus no enjoyment or orgasm, Amy flattens all of your sexuality FACT.

I have now come off AMY just a month ago , I tried several times over the years to come off them but, it was impossible & the withdrawal symptoms are terrible, Eventually I was determined & really fed up with all the awful side effects from taking this drug & decided to tell my Doctor I wished to come off AMY but, with the Drs help. My Dr put me on Fluorexetine = PROZAC & told me to reduce Amy slowly, I tried several times slowly & then decided to come of Amy FULL TURKEY & continue just on PROZAC TWICE  A DAY & I aam thrilled to say that after two weeks of terrible withdrawal symptoms I am now free of AMY & i feel good apart from the sweats all the time,which should stop with time, but you do need a replacement to come off AMY. Plus my DR informed me that AMY are bad for older people as they cause Dimensia & other Brain problems as you get older. So they are not safe for lder people. hope this helps Jackie.

• Posted

Hi Jackie!

Ive come across this thread and have seen you said you have been on Endep for quite a long time! Im on my first week using endep.... this is the first time ive ever taken any medication like this seriously and im more than excited for my new life.

I have a few questions tho if you don't mind sharing your experiences with me?

Firstly what is your dosage and how long did it take to start working for you? If youre using it for anxiety how do you feel now compared to before?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.