Had colonoscopy 2nd March. Have been diagnosed with precancerous polyp. Still waiting for follow up

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been diagnosed with a 40mm serrated sessile polyp near the oleocaecal valve which takes up one third of the circumference of the colon. Referred to colorectal multidisciplinary team on 17th of March. Have heard nothing. Not even an appointment letter. Does anyone know how long the normal waiting time is. Grateful for any input.

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ann, sorry to hear this but I don't know much about polyps but hopefully someone will. You must call someone tomorrow and chase it up, call your doctor or the clinic. Don't worry about nagging them, it's your health x
    • Posted

Hi Bexcd111. Thank you for your input. I'm extremely frustrated that I've had no contact from the hospital. I have tried to chase it up. There was an answerphone message saying if anyone was waiting for an appointment he was running six snd a half months behind. Not sure what my next option is. Thanks again for replying
    • Posted

Wow that's awful. Speak to your gp. Can you be transferred to another hospital? You don't have to go to your nearest one. If you have a polyp you need it removed. Just tell them about the answer phone message and say you must be transferred somewhere else. That is not good enough x
  • Posted

I had this too. These polyps are very slow growing and have the potential to be nasty if not removed. As you have not been rushed through I think it will be dealt with routinely. From your point of view that good news. Try not to worry, they're on to it 
    • Posted

Thank you Alexi. I know polyps take years to grow but my last colonoscopy was three years ago. Either this polyp was missed then or it has grown very fast. My gp seems to think the latter. Thank you for your reply
  • Posted

Hi dear

Sorry to hear this I hope you get the result soon and be taking care of. I have a question for you Ann may ask what was your symptomps and if you are under age of 40.

Beacuse I am suffering from the colon problem and I am 38 years old and I did most of the tests except the colonoscopy which I am afraid of its sedation.

It's been two years now that I am having pain in the upper left side of my colon and the pain gets worse when I have bowl movment. I am severely constipated as well. But when I have normal bowl movment the pain gets low. I never had blood in the stool and I did different stool tests that all ame normal but when I reaserch on google everything ends up with cancer which freaks me out.

• Posted

Hi Cathy,

Don't be worried about sedation. I cancelled my first colonoscoy due to being scared of sedation. I asked for 1 mg and it did nothing. I had slight discomfort when they pump the air in and that was it. Just wish I'd of done it the first time as I would of had my answers then!

• Posted

Hi Cathy. I'm 62 but have had problems for many years. I went to gp after Christmas and said problem was getting worse. I was due for a surveillance colonoscopy which I have every three years because I've had polyps in the past. They took three away this time but left my large one. It was photographed and biopsied and I was referred to colorectal multidisciplinary team. You shouldn't be afraid of sedation. I feel fine very soon after and am conscious throughout. It just relaxes you. If you are offered colonoscopy it's seen as the gold standard and would put your mind at rest
    • Posted

Hi Bexcd111. Couldn't agree more. Most people who have colonoscopy have their mind put at rest
    • Posted

Hi Cathy

Sorry for just butting in the conversation, i just wanted to say i have had 4  polyps removed at once, one was pre cancerous and when the biopsy was done i had high cell change which was scary but now i have been kept on the list for surveillance, i never had any symptoms at all, mine was found because i had a bowel screening and blood was detected in my stool,,  sometimes polyps bleed which you can't see its so minimal

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.