anyone had second toe osteotomy. numb and floppy

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi i m 4 weeks post op from bunion surgery and second toe weill osteotomy. I m really frightened as my second toe is very numb. The bottom of it is stiff and the top is floppy when i push it. I can feel some sensation underneath it if i scratch it and can move it slightly if i concentrate. I m v frightened that it wont go back to normal . It burns and hurts far more than the bunionectomy. Has anyone experienced this?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I did. And it's still that way exactly a year post op. I can't really lift it up from the ground, and the middle 3 toes are numb, I have about 30% feeling. The toe doesn't bend and I've recently been to see another surgeon. Severe stiffness is the problem in the toe which can't be reversed. Numbness and weakness are just nerve damage and scar tissue problems.

I was only allowed to weight bear after 6 weeks but I got physio 3 times a week. Although we worked on the floppy toe perhaps if I'd been able to mobilize it earlier it wouldn't have stiffened.

I just don't know.

Just keep working at it, it all helps!

Fiona

• Posted

Not good to hear fiona. Guess theres nothing that can be done to reverse it now. I m definetly.regretting him doing.this second.osteotomy as i didn.even have pain from the.joimt but.he persuaded me i would in the future !
  • Posted

Hello all, interesting to read your posts, I'm sorry to hear of the trouble you have with the 2nd toe. Its I guess early days for me,( 3 weeks post bunion and osteotomy 2nd toe with K wire) however, my bunion hasn't been a problem but the 2nd toe had been extremely sensitive. I was advised to weight bear after 2 weeks ( flat foote only) which I am, with crutches and I try to walk around the house without. I have just had my 2nd dressing change and OMG when the nurse touched my toe!!! I have not been advised to do exercises  ( I guess until the wire comes out (6weeks post op). I wondered how you found the wires coming out? Dreading it !
    • Posted

Hi Nellie

i had the same operation as you and had the wires out this week after 4 weeks of walking in darco shoes. The good news is that it didn't hurt as much as I thought it would ! The pain was more the surgeon holding my poor toes to pull it out! I'm now able to wear my pink gardening crocs and feeling a bit more human again. Good luck !

• Posted

Hi Lucy

thanks for your reply! I had my dressing changed yesterday and although the nurse only held my toe gently it was soo painful!  My pin comes out almost 7 weeks post op 13th may. How is your walking ( without the stres of catching the wire?). I havent got a darco boot but was advised to walk around flat footedwith no toe bending . I am due back at work two days after the wire removal but I dont thnk I will be ready for 12 hour shifts!!

• Posted

Hi Nellie

Walking is ok, the main problem is the swelling - no shoes will fit and walking makes them swell more. The physio has advised less walking but trying to walk properly, not on my heels and use ice packs and ibuprofen for the swelling. I too thought I would be back to work after 4 weeks but am revising my estimations and think I may be at home for another 2 weeks. I don't want to extend the recovery period any longer but am worried getting to work will be too much and will set me back in the long run...... I was really worried some one would hit the k wires by accident - In the end was only me with my crutch! Best of luck Lucy

• Posted

Hi Lucy if I got a £ for each time I tell my husband and teenagers to 'watch my foot' I would not have to return to work!! I have caught my K wire several times, I told the nurse yesterday ' watch the wire won't you?' but she just laughed, I'm a nurse too and I am a rubbish patient!!! After the op I was given a 8 week sick note however as my job involves me standing for 12 hours+ a day I am going to be guided by how my foot and walking goes. The thought of standing for an hour horrifies me. I am walking around the house without crutches periodically but my what an effort. How have your work been ? I told my manager to expect me back in 6 weeks before my op! I don't thnk so!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.