Post Pituitary Surgery

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello

I'm 6 week post pituitary surgery for a NF Macroadenoma. Has anyone experienced quite severe nasal crusting (very high up in the nasal areas only to find out there is a hole in the septum?

Regular douches have been done, oral antibiotics and now an antibiotic cream to help to soften and clean up the nasal passage.

Any advice would be welcomed.

🙂

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I certainly had bad nasal crusting. I had 2 follow up ENT appointments where they used some tools and a camera up my nose to remove some scabs/crusting to avoid it becoming an issue. It wasn't very pleasant, but it did the trick. I had some light nose bleeding for quite some while after my pit surgery, I guess the area gets a bit knocked around in the process of operating. I haven't got a hole in my septum as far as I know. I had a course of antibiotics and the salty water squirting up the nose for 6 weeks, the douche process did clear loads of rubbish out of the nose, but as I said, additional work was done by ENT to clear stuff out. Cheers, Carl
    • Posted

Thanks for sharing your experience Carl.

I too saw the ENT surgeon who used the camera to view the crusts but he didn't move anything. He said to start using the antibiotic cream which is hard to distribute so high up. Anyway I started using the cream and today a lot more rubbish fell away so it looks like it's already working.

I just hope I'm not left with a problematic hole- fingers crossed. More importantly I am most grateful for the tumour being removed safely.

• Posted

Yes, entering the nose for the operation is undoubtedly the best way, but not without its issues. It took a while for my nose to recover, like you I am very grateful to be rid of the tumour. I am on replacement Hydrocortisone and Testosterone now and feel SO much better, much fitter and much better mentally. I just got so impatient for it all to resolve, which it did. Hope you make good progress too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.