4.5cm Ovarian Cyst - 22 years old - docs won't remove

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all, 

I've been having pain for about a week in my lower right abdomen. I went to docs and they confirmed via ultrasound a 4.5.cm cyst on my ovary.

Problem is, it's causing me a lot of pain! 

I'm on the implant, I'm only 22 and up until about 6 months ago I was having no periods, now in the last 6 months I've had erratic and frequent periods - doc said cyst would have formed in the last 4 weeks so probably not related.

They won't remove it and keep telling me to take pain meds but that they can't help.

Has anyone had the same problem with doctors not wanting to remove if less than 5cm even if they are in a LOT of pain? 

Thanks smile xxx

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I would def push that further as u could v easily lose your tube/s over the cyst. Thats not on having to go thru that pain. Iv had it 2months now x
    • Posted

Hi Sian, 

Thanks so much for replying. It seems as though it's common place for them not to remove the cyst unless its 5cm or over, surely if there was big dangers attached to a smaller cyst, they would also remove these too? 

Pain is horrible!! 

Thanks!! smile

• Posted

Ah right now i didnt no that. I understand ur 100% coz im in agony myself! Iv already a referal for gyae for irregular bleeding iv been having for at v least 6months. 3 outa 4 weeks i bleed & getting worse along with the pain worsing every day. I was force by family to c dr & reluctantly i did (i dnt think the care v much & r v neglectful) but my dr sent me on my way saying iv to wait on the appointment which cud take at least 3months & she said to me "well wat do u want me to do?" Omg do wat ur suppose to do and help me! I left crying & without so much as a panadol which would not help pain anyway. I just dunno how im making it until the appointment with this getting worse by the day.

I dnt think they shud let ppl leave in that kinda pain! Not normal & affects everyday life! I wrk 12 shifts which hard work wit the pain lol.

• Posted

I really u get sorted soon ruby.x
    • Posted

Aww Sian sounds like you're in a lot of pain. Hope you get it sorted soon. Paracetamol and Ibuprofen do not help in any way! 

I think they pass it off as moaning when it really is a serious issue. 

Hope I manage to get it sorted too! Thanks for all of your help!! xx

• Posted

Just no u arnt alone! I hate them to think im just beinging a moan and its simply another reason i am soooo reluctant to go incase they think that.

my mum is forcing me to A&E if shes not happy but at least then they myt scan me and i can hopefully get sum answers to wats causing it! I am assuming its cyst/s & cud b a number of things.

Past 3 days iv started feeling nausea on and of which is putting me of my food a bit.

X

• Posted

Hello. So sorry your going through this.

I've also been told that they won't remove cysts under 5cm. I've actually got a 5cm complex cyst on my right ovary which I'm having tests for. I suffer with terrible pain but the consultant said the pains are not related to the cyst as the cyst is too small.

I hope they will be checking you again to make sure the cyst hasn't grown/ changed etc .

Best wishes

Vicky

• Posted

Hmm that's weird as I was told the pain was to do with the cyst (was the ultra sound guy who said that).

Sad to hear you've got a complex cyst... Hope it gets sorted.

I'm going to have a second opinion tomorrow hopefully smile xx

• Posted

I know Ruby that's what I thought but the consultant who I saw was horrible and showed no empathy/ sympathy at me balling my eyes out terrified. He said my pains would be nothing to do with it sad. I'm in constant pain pretty much. Sex is agony, I'm permanently bloated, tender to pass urine ( but my wee is fine).

I'm so glad your getting a second opinion I really am smile

Stay in touch

Best wishes

• Posted

No ruby this was just my GP! They didnt help me in any way wat so ever. I was left v upset as it took me alot to go to them in the 1st plc. All she told me was i have to wait on my gynae appointment in the summer. Im not 1 to argue or anything like that so i just accepted wat she said and walked away & cried. Altho im in alot of pain i am even more reluctant to seek more help & all i want to no is wat it is. I no its not normal at all. Dr felt my tummy AFTER she told me id to wait on the appointment. She touched a spot on the side were most pain is and i nearly jumped of the bed it was so tender and can feel little lump but not on the other side.

I hope u get sorted. Also if you r able to stand ur ground a bit more than myself then do so as ul get nowhere fast!! If its causing u alot of pain ruby they wud need to address it! U cant b expected to go thru it forever just coz the cyst is only 4.5 in size lol. if its causing pain, it needs sorted!

• Posted

Did you try to get a second opinion?
    • Posted

Hi! Getting a second opinion tomorrow smile will let you know X
  • Posted

Hi ruby

I'm 19 and I've had a 7cm cyst on my right ovary. Was scanned in October last year after months of visiting my doctor due to pain. I was only told last week I could have surgery and I'm told I can be waiting another 4 months which takes me nearly to a year of having the cyst.

I've just kept pushing and pushing. Frequent gp visits when my pains been bad. Even a hospital admission once as I thought it ruptured.

My advice is to not give up. Keep pushing and it will pay off.

Good luck xx

• Posted

Hi all!

Had another doctors opinion this morning. She reassured me that the cyst should disappear by itself and the pain is caused by inflammation in my pelvic muscle. She completely understood and was lovely! Gave me some coedine and asked me to stay in touch. If I get more smptoms to call 111 but if pain goes then the cyst will have gone. Fingers crossed!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.