Can someone help with Post Op diet?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

I had a POEM surgery last week and finding it tough to get my head around the new dietary requirement because everything is either acidic or causes gas. So all of these are what I love and what I cant eat: veg,fruit,wholegrains,coffee,spices,salt,choc,cheese,alcohol etc....

So what can I eat that wont cause chest pain?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi. Could you eat those things pre-op? If you could then give it time. If you couldn't then give it time.

I didn't have POEM, I had the Heller's. I was on a sloppy diet for at least two weeks, then gradually introduced the more interesting foods. In my view you have to remember the achalasia is reduced motility in the gullet, it's nothing to do with how well your stomach can process foods.

Just my opinions.

• Posted

Hi David. Yep I was able to eat that before. I spoke to my surgeon and he believes that its spasms I am getting. The pain begins quickly and leaves quickly but when its there it horrific and radiates into my tonsils. I think that if i have excess acid that it definately triggers it though.
  • Posted

What doesyour doctor recommend orhaven't you asked him. I'd start there solely because everyone effects after surgery is different.
    • Posted

Hi, yea he thinks its spasms. Hes putting me on blood pressure meds to relax the muscles. Im feeling much better about the surgery, i think that other than this problem I did make the right decision.
  • Posted

If you find the website of the Oesophageal Patients Association and go to The Oesophagus, and Achalasia, you will find some links to some meeting notes and the food that achalasia sufferers have found troublesome.

We are all different though!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.