Apathy on Fluoxetine... Is this what I can expect?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm on day 6 of 20mg dose of fluoxetine. I have suffered from anxiety and depression for many years but this is the first time I have felt like I needed chemical help... I've been so afraid of taking meds in the past. I didn't want to feel like a zombie. But I have recently lost my mum to breast cancer and I am struggling so here I am. I have been experiencing dizziness, nausea and loss of appetite - all of which are uncomfortable but I can get through it. My main fear at the moment is this complete feeling of overwhelming apathy. I just don't care about anything... I could quite literally stay on the couch all day. This is scary for me as I am usually a really high achieving and outgoing person (hence all the anxiety)... I'm seriously considering giving up and going off the meds. Please tell me this gets better???

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Bluebird, have you tried therapy? CBT has a better success rate than ADS which are in fact no better than placebo. There is absolutely no scientific proof that depression is caused by low serotonin. In fact, there are depressed people with higher than average serotonin! What the ssris does do is CAUSE an imbalance of too much S which is causing these symptoms. What no one tells you is that the nervous system pushes back against the drug induced excess by remodeling in an effort to regain homeostasis. Once those adaptations are made, the symptoms subside. If you want to come off, these adaptations cause withdrawal syndrome because the drug is not there fulfilling the role the ns remodeled to!

You are at a point where the getting out is still good; a quick taper off will hopefully leave you unscathed. Stay on longer waiting for side effects to recede and you'll be hooked, and may find you haven't benefitted either.

Please look into CBT self help online, tons of resources out there. Mindfulness meditation is also scientifically proven to help depression.

:-)

• Posted

Hey bluebird it gets better been there I never wanted to try any meds but eventally I prayed and prayed and to decide if I wanted to go with meds or not and well I left it to god to guide me here I am feeling great I'm starting to taper off of them now slowly but surely: ) keep it goiing u can do this smile god bless u
  • Posted

Hello,

I'm on week eight and my motivation has finally improved, thankfully.

The first four weeks or so were the worst and like you motivation hit rock bottom to the point of apathy.

But little by little things are starting to improve now.

I have been practising both CBT and mindfulness techniques since my last bout of severe depression three years ago, but was getting increasingly more depressed, anxious, angry and unstable towards the end of last year, so I decided I needed some "artificial" support.

I'm glad I've stuck with it. Sometimes we need a bit of help. There is no shame in it.

Hope it works out for you.

X

• Posted

Hi Bluebird,

I have been on fluoxetine for two years. I suffered from severe anxiety and depression most of my life

I am 55. I resisted for years going on Ad's but eventually my life became intolerable and I started on 20mg eventually rising to 40 mg. it seemed a long slow journey with many ups and downs. I felt the apathy the increased agitation etc but I stuck with it and it has changed my life. My life is not perfect but I can actually relax for the first time in my life I sleep well and enjoy a simple but very happy life with my partner who supported me through it.

I was off work for three months but I am now back and coping. I tried all the counselling mindfulness, CBC Hypnotherapy, yoga, meditation, change of diet, herbal medication vitamins, exercise. I spent a fortune on it all.

I am not saying it's for everyone but consider this is it really apathy or is it someone constantly in a state of high anxiety beginning to relax and finding that feeling strange and unusual.

Please contact me if you need anymore support

Linda

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.