Don't know what to do anymore

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I'm a 30 year old male and I was taking fluoxetine for severe anxiety and ocd. I was on fluoxetine for 2-3 years and was satisfied with what it gave me.

Suddenly after 2-3 years, the drug wasn't working like it once did. For no reason (no trauma, stress, life event), my anxiety took over and my ocd returned. At the same time, sexual dysfunction almost disappeared. And, I developed severe insomnia (getting to sleep and staying asleep) and this sleep problem is what has made things incredibly difficult for me. All of these things happened quite quickly. 

So, I told my doctor and he upped the dose. I returned to my doc and told him that it hasn't helped, he upped the dose to the max dose. Spending another month at the max dose didn't help. So, I returned and he put me on Paxil. Paxil helped, but very little. After 6 weeks we reached full effect and it was a minimal improvement (had Paxil worked, I would've put up with the side effects, but it didn't work). I then tried citalopram for a month and it didn't work. And then, I tried mirtazapine for a month. Mirtazapine helped me with sleep but I had severe memory problems whilst on it. Also, I felt groggy all day. 

I retuned to my doc and he started me on Zoloft. I'm on Zoloft and have been on it for 8 weeks. It has helped me, BUT my insomnia is very much still a huge problem. I have trouble falling asleep and despite being chronically sleep deprived, I cannot sleep more than 4-5 hours of interrupted sleep. 

I don't know what to do anymore. I never had insomnia before beginning fluoxetine, never. I feel, that fluoxetine has rewired my brain and that this is what I'm left with. Three psychiatrists i have visited, none helped. I had more success with my family doc. 

Any advice on what's happening to me is appreciated. 

Thank-you

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Maybe getting the right one that works. Ecitalopram is another one. I was on both the Zoloft and Celexa for years. On the fluoxetine now but have to say for me it was months before I became stable. Also for insomnia I am taking Klonopin at bedtime and am considering CBD oil. Charlotte web. I get how your feeling and it sucks. My prayers go out to you to get to a comfortable stage.
  • Posted

Hi it's rotten that you are feeling so bad. I have tried quite a few medications and unfortunately they haven't worked. Fluoxetine was absolutely awful for me, it made me so much more anxious I thought I would go off my head. Certainly go back to your Dr, you need to get it sorted for sure. I'm sorry therapy hasn't worked for you, as I'm not on any medication I had to try something and therapy has helped me a bit. The insomnia is totally awful as you feel even worse when you haven't had a good sleep. I tried clinical hypnotherapy and that helped me relax, I often listen to the download before I go to sleep or if I'm feeling particularly anxious. It doesn't help every single time but to be honest there is no magic cure. Alot of it is trial and error and sheer determination. I tell myself I'm going to get through this I'm strong, I'm a good person and although I feel like I can't cope, I can and have been getting through every day. You will feel better, it might not seem like it just now but you will. Have you tried exercise, it might tire you out. Very best of luck with everything.cheesygrin
  • Posted

Trying Citalopram for a month wouldn't work no - it needs months and months for most people for it to take effect.

Strange your meds would stop working, they don't usually.  Some people find taking a different brand makes a huge difference, so it could have been that that gave you a blip.

Changing meds though, you really do need to stay on one for many, many months before you can tell if they'll work for you.  These meds don't work in weeks.  I take Citalopram and it took around 6 months for them to work.  My son took Fluoxetine and it took 9 months for him to recover.

K xx

• Posted

I got off fluox after 2 months and now I'm on Luvox which is more geared toward OCD. After less than a week I can tell its working, my head that was filled with nothing but obsessive/intrusive thoughts, doom and gloom scenarios is now thinking about more pleasant things, even on the lowest dose. Appetite and sleep have returned and my anxiety levels are in check.

It may not work for you, but ask your doctor about it. The only reason I started it is because my sister swears by it and it saved her life!

http://www.drugs.com/comments/fluvoxamine/for-obsessive-compulsive-disorder.html

• Posted

thanks for all ur replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.