Is this normal for diverticula

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi have posted before, diagnosed with pouches about 18 months ago. Over past couple of weeks have had pain in central abdomen above pubic bone (am female) a burning pain which I thought was a water infection, GP did see blood but sample came back clear, so just in case I was given a 3 day course of anti b's which I have just finished.  This has made no difference and am now wondering whether it is actually a divi flare up as I seem to have a lot of smelly wind (sorry) which helps this pain go for a while.  I am also experiencing a lot of pain in left side right down into same area and back ache.  I do have IBS, but this pain in centre is new to me so before I go back to GP wondered if anyone else suffers with low down central burning pain as well as left side pain.  There is no blood just lots of loose motions.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Diverticulitis affects people differently but it sounds very much like a flare up. I am in a similar situation at the moment. Pain, wind, toilet.......but blood tests show no infection. Just try sticking to a bland diet for a few days to see if anything changes. It is such a horrible disease and very little help available.
  • Posted

Diverticulitis affects people differently but it sounds very much like a flare up. I am in a similar situation at the moment. Pain, wind, toilet.......but blood tests show no infection. Just try sticking to a bland diet for a few days to see if anything changes. It is such a horrible disease and very little help available.
  • Posted

Defo sounds like a flare up. Your symptoms are almost exact same as mine at the moment. I am on my 3rd day of antibiotics now and water only. Go back to your GP if you are no better and dont leave it any length of time. Hope your better soon. Its a long haul! Sympathise with you! Xx
    • Posted

Sorry just noticed your bloods came back clear.....it may just be early stages so dont accept theres nothing wrong. Keep drinking and take Probiotics if you can. Things can change very quickly with this disease so keep rested and hope all gets better soon.
  • Posted

My flareups often have pain which feels asif it coming from my bladder. I think this is due to my adhesions from hysterectomy. Every thing is stuck together. I would go on liquid diet at once and get plenty of rest. Left side pain and backache are definite signs of a flare up.
  • Posted

Hi this is the first time on this forum, but wish I'd seen it sooner! I feel like lots of other people that we are alone with this disease, I had a colonoscopy  last year after suffering in silence for about eight years, then I had an episode which I lost lots of bloody stools and I worried it was cancer, thus I had the investigation which I was when I was told I had diverticula the disease, but no one has still told me how to manage it, I have flare ups all the time, it stops me in day to day life and I never feel in control. I'm in the middle of another episode, bloody stools and wind, loose stools etc, me and my hubby are supposed to be flying on Thursday but I feel like crying because I don't feel well, and going to another country scares me, only because you don't always know where the loos are! I sympathise with all you sufferers and thanks for listening me ramble xx
    • Posted

It's like listening to mysel,, Christine. I am also having yet another flare-up. At 2am this morning, I telephoned the nhs help line. My body was shaking so much with "rigors" that dialing the number was difficult. Thankfully, they sent an ambulance crew but they were convinced that I had the flu, gave me some paracetamol and advised me to speak to my GP. So many of us on this forum are living with the pain and stress of this terrible disease but very little help seems to be available. I am still in bed, in pain and waiting to hear from my GP. I am sad to say that I am so thankful to find other people in the same situation. I am in the UK, but many posts come from all over the world. We all need help but very little seems available. Bless you all x
    • Posted

Lots of water and a bland diet while you are suffering,then when feeling better slowly introduce fiber,i take a fiber supplement called lepicol from Holland and Barret and also a probiotic,the Lepicol has been a life saver for me,hope you feel better soon.I know how you feel about going on holiday with divi,i went to Mauritius newly diagnosed with no info what so ever.
    • Posted

Hope you are feeling better now. I know what you mean about no help. I am 56 and female and was told diverticula is normal in anyone over 50 which does not make you feel any better. It is what caused my flare up in the first place that is intriguing, some yummy food I ate now doubt. My GP say's I need to lose a bit if weight but how are we meant to do that when everything with skin, seeds, nuts etc cause these problems. Take care
    • Posted

It's my first time on any forum. I already feel like I'm not alone and could cry with relief. I was diagnosed in march 2015 and had regular flare ups lasting a few days. But this time I have been in pain for over three weeks. My go is great and is seeing me every few days at his in distance to get this sorted. But 3 days into a 7 day course of antibiotics I have now started taking mebeverine so fed up. My symptoms are frequent toilet visits but not loose or constipated. Just frequent and stomach pain and low back pain.
  • Posted

Thanks for your replies, I believe it is a flare up as today had the bloody mucousy stools (sorry). I had not had the lower central pain before, so now on a bland diet. Have got probiotics and fybogel so that with buscopan should all help. It is a amazing how many of us have this problem and how many symptoms there are for the same thing. I had a colonoscopy November 2014 how often do they repeat them as do wonder whether things have changed in the last 18 months.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.