worried about autoimmune blood test results. Please help me.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I recently had some blood work done due to my doctor suspecting that I could possibly have rheumatoid arthritis or lupus. I got my results back but would like to know if anyone could help me interpret them...I have my consult Wednesday, but I was hoping to see if anyone could give me any idea of what I'm walking into and what I might hear. 

My sedimentation rate was a 22. 

My rheumatoid factor was a 36.

My ANA came back positive at a 1:80 titer with a nucleolar pattern and 

my hsCRP level showed a 3.0.

Would someone please help me with this. Thank you. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hey Meridith

First I am no pro, but when I read your results, I looked it up and first it suggest that the sedimentation rate measures the imflimation in your body.

It said that for women under 50, the scale is 0 to 20, and women 50 or older the scale is 0 to 30.

I am not totally clear about the Rhumatoid factor but I read many inputs much higher than yours.

The ANA positive pattern suggest a possible Autoimmune situation.

The hsCRP level seems to be in the desired range from 0 to 10.

I hope this helps a little. You may have read the same things.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply Kenny

I've been doing nothing but reading on this. I'm just a whole lot of confused. If nothing is wrong, which I hope there's not then why does my doctor want to do a consultation? I guess I'll see then.thanks again.

• Posted

Your welcome Meridith, I totally agree with you, but it seems to me that all your results are pretty close to normal.

I myself have been having problems for about 4 months now that to put it lightly have taken my quality of life away.

The crazy thing is If you take away my terrible onset of joint pain, feet and hands aching, jaw pain,, other than that, I feel good, good energy, great appetite, but wow, after several months with 24 hr. Pain, you start feeling gloomy.

My family thought I was just misaligned, but after 3 times a week for 6 weeks at the Chiropractor, it's only worse. I also had all the heart test, it's all great, my blood sugar is perfect.

I guess my next dreaded move is to go to a Neurologist or Rhumatoligist to get the final verdict. I probably should have done that 4 months ago.

I wanna think Autoimmune, but I have very little if any fatigue. I have a very stiff neck.

I turned 60 in February. I feel that if my body continues down this path, I won't be able to get around or worse, be gone for good.

I really feel like your news will be ok. What made you go to begin with?

• Posted

Oh wow. I hope everything works out for you!

From what I saw on my paper was that RF is normal when it under 30, sedimentation rate is normal under 20, titer is less than 1:40 for normal and 3.0 and up is rated high for hsCRP so maybe thats why she wants to see.

I've been having massive fatigue, back and base of the skull migraines,stiff neck and arm weakness and numbness off and on for the past 4 years. It sucks. I'm almost praying that they find some thing to explain.

• Posted

Meridith, one thing I for sure have knowledge of is Migraines. Let's say I started being blessed with Migraines around 12 years old.

I would get the blind spits and wiggly lines first, then about one hour after all that nighmare, the horrific pain would set in, generally over one eye or the other. The pain would be so great I would become nauseated. The next day after the migraine, my head would be so sore on the side the migraine was on that I couldn't comb my hair.

At least for me, mine seemed to be triggered by dairy products. I use to have around 10 or so a year.

In January 2008, I had my Aortic valve replaced in my heart and the strangest thing has taken place since my heart surgery, My migraines started taking place much more often, and they continued to start with the blindness, but the pain never comes.

As often as they happen to me know, I'm so glad the pain no longer happens, because since they are much more often now, I wouldn't be able to stand the pain.

I am still perplexed why the pain no longer happens, but I'm not complaining.

I am sorry you have Migraines, they can and are a nightmare.

I remember 30 years ago getting migraines while traveling and having to pull into a Motel and spending the night because of the pain .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.