Ovarian cyst and missed period

Posted , 13 users are following.

I had been diagnosed with an 8cm functional ovarian cyst. My periods have always been like clockwork, they're really regular. If I'm late, it's only for a couple days, but never beyond that.

From what I read, ovarian cysts can cause you to miss your period. However, considering the size of the cyst, I assume it has already been there for a couple months at least. But even then, I still had regular periods. My period came on time last month too.

But for some strange reason, this month, I'm already over a week late which has never happened to me. Took a pregnancy test over a week ago and it was negative. Anyone have any ideas???

I'm really worried.

2 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hello.

Are the keeping an eye on your cyst and seeing you regularly? Do you have any other symptoms or do you feel well in yourself?

If you are worried and concerned I would give your GP a call to reassure you, especially as your periods were so regular!! It may just be coincidence and it's just late, but because of cyst your naturally worrying.

I hope you get an answer soon.

Best wishes

Vicky xx

• Posted

Hi Victoria,

Thanks for your reply. I have no symptoms at all. I didn't even know it was there.

The only reason why I found out was because we are trying to conceive and my obgyn advised to use a ovulation predictor kit. I also measure my basal temps. For months, my OPKs and temps were normal. Then all of a sudden, my temps were erratic. For this reason, I went to my obgyn and they did a pelvic exam. This was how the cyst was discovered.

I'm scheduled to see another doctor in 3 weeks, but I don't know why I still haven't gotten my period. The waiting period is torture.

When they did 2 blood tests, my hormone levels and CA-125 (reading was 25) returned as normal. But because these may not be meaningless, I'm still concerned of cancer or whatever type of disease!

I don't have pregnancy symptoms so I'm REALLY, REALLY hoping for my period to show up at least. With a missed period and negative pregnancy test, I don't know what's going on with my body anymore sad(((

• Posted

I mean *blood tests MAY BE meaningless.
    • Posted

Ah bless your heart, the fact that they're happy to give it time before they see you is a good sign. I know it's easy to say but try not to overthink things and worry yourself. It could just be that your stress levels are so high that it's that that's causing the delay.

I'm also waiting and it's torture. I have a complex cyst on my right ovary for which I'm having repeat scans and bloods done next week. I'm very scared too. I really sympathise with you.

Hang on in there and if your worried or get any other symptoms in the meantime, then try to get seen urgently.

Wishing you lots of luck

Best wishes

Vicky xx🌷

• Posted

I have had two cysts, one about the size of yours and the other bigger still. Neither of them affected my periods, except the pain! So treat the two things separately. Also my CA125 was very high - 120 and still not cancerous, so try not to worry too much.  Best of luck. 
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply, Lesley. That makes me feel slightly at ease.

Did you get surgery at all?

• Posted

I did. First time round I had a laparoscopy to remove the cyst only. They were going to take the ovary too but it was stuck to other things! Sadly I have another larger cyst, plus other problems with my uterus so going in for full hysterectomy and ovary removal next week. My child bearing days are behind me so I'm quite relaxed about it all. Though not looking forward to induced menopause.
    • Posted

I would love to know how the surgery and induced menopauce went for you? How do you feel about it now, looking back 2 yrs later?

I'm looking at going through the same thing. I'm 41, and have a large, extremely painful (possibly cancerous) cyst on the right - and because of my endometriosis they want to take everything. The thought of Surgically induced menopause scares me. 

• Posted

Sorry this site keeps flicking my screen everywhere. I wanted to see what the outcome of everything was for you? I went to the ER over some pain and thought I was possibly pregnant/tubal and they said it was a cyst on my ovary that was causing me all the issues. 3.5 cm they found on the catscan. I went when I was a month late and now I'm 2 months late and still having constant cramping and bloating and some other things. I have an appointment next  week but it just seems crazy that all my symptoms are of this. But what do I really know so I just thought hearing what you went through with the delay of your period cause I too an clockwork every 26 days apart, never late sometimes a day early. 

• Posted

Hi, I wanted to know what your outcome was for this?

I too, havery not had a period in 2 months, going on 3 now. I have ano appointment on Thursday but I have also been having random dull, random sharp type pain on my left side that radiates towards my lower back, and pelvic area. It gets worse at night when I'm sleeping and I'm thinking it's a cyst, cause I had one on my right side back in June that ended up residing on its own, but they also said there was a smaller one on my left side but it wasn't anything to be concerned about. Then they thought it was my sugar being too high cause I keep getting yeast infections. Then I'm off and on constipated, I tested negative for 2 test. I am bloated and it seems like I can't lose weight cause I am eating healthy and exercising.

With me looking up stuff, I started wondering if I have PCOS, and I would be crushed by that because me and fiance are trying to conceive. So I'm really worried and stressed out, but I know that stress can delay a period, but with me having pain and no period, on top of yeast infections / bacterial infections that seem to not go away. I'm stressing the heck out!! I have no idea what's wrong with me and my body, I just want answers...

If I have the surgery, does that increase my chances of having kids? We both don't have any so I at least want to have one child before they might try to take an ovary or something. I'm only 26, and I have no idea what's going on or what's wrong with me. Can anyone please give out information or help or advice???!!! Please!

• Posted

Hello

I'm going through the same issue. I have a 4cm cyst on my left ovary on top of that I have been with bladder and yeast infections for over a month and been taking antibiotics and anti fungal medicine. its not going away. Wanted to know what was the outcome of this. Thanks for your help. 

• Posted

Hi Please I need some advice urgent

It's been 4 months and I don't have my period, no signs of pregnancy at all, I'm all good nothing hurts or any signs of ovarian cyst. I'm really worried what happen , but some days there are a little blood then I thought my period gonna come that day but nothing still. It is the first time that this was happened to me. I had a regular cycle every month. After I turned 20 my period begins to be irregular. I didn't yet tell my mom about it coz I'm scared what people might think coz I'm not having my period in 4months. It should be my period last October because my last period was in September so I was expecting it to come in last week of October or first week of November. But no signs of my period. I don't know what to do If this February I still didn't have my period. I've read lots of articles and stuff about missed period and the signs of being pregnant but I don't have those signs even the ovarian cyst signs I don't have them. Then I read other women missed their period 1 year and more then their period came back too. I wonder if having no signs of pain is okay that I just have to wait for my period this following month.

Thank you please help me.

• Posted

Hi

I'm Alexis,19 years old

I'm really worrieds and Need advice

I have a cyst on my right ovary and it causes such agony that I've been to ane twice in 4 weeks (first time is how I found out what it was)

I have had really irregular period my entire life and they have been extremely painful and heavy

They tend to last between 1-2 Weeks and the 2nd ve8ng lighter..I last had one in September that lasted 3 weeks and was really heavy and practically crippled me to my bed which doesn't help with joint/bone disorders to.

Once that finished I had really bad pain and that's when I found out it was the cyst ,I couldn't even move!

Now I just had a follow up scan yesterday as they were hoping it'll just dissapear (it hasn't which I already knew that because this pain is awful) and they don't want to help me in anyway,I even got laughed at when i said the pain is that bad I pass out .. They hadn't even gave me a consultant when it was first figured out but now they're sending scans etc to a specific consultant I'll be under

But still they are saying they'll refuse to do anything until I have a period ,after my periods becoming regular the last 6 months to now going 2 months without it.

I keep thinking I'm on but its actually the cyst bleeding to.

This is horrible. I just want to work and if my disability with my joints isn't getting to me enough this is making it 10 worse,I'm passing out almost daily because the pain is absolutely torture, oramorph didn't even kill the pain off.

I just don't know what to do anymore :'(

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.