Confused and Frustrated with Graves

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was diagnosis with Graves in October, 2015.  I recently had surgery for my shoulder in June, 2015 everything was fine, no issues with any of my blood work up to this point.  I weighed myself in July and was very upset because of the weight gain from surgery, then one day decided to step on the scale I was 15 lbs light, very happy figured I started working again as well as started a third job, running around so I was happy but a family member insisted I get checked out and that is when I was diagnosised with Graves.  Since then I have gained all the weight back and I am extremely unhappy.  I am on 15 mg of methimzole a day.  I have been on weight watchers for the past 5 weeks lost a total of 3 lbs keep losing and gaining the same weight.  Don't know what to do.  On top of all of this I thought I was in peri menopause but after 12 months got my period and the I am back to counting again.  It just stinks!!!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Stress can trigger Graves and it sounds as though you have been through a very stressful time recently.  I found for me that while Methimazole blocked the excessive thyroid hormone, it did not raise my TSH for 2 years.  Then I read a research paper by an Italian Endocrinologist about the benefits of Graves patients taking L-Carnitine so I added that, plus vitamin D which most of us are deficient in and Magnesium.  Then I tried Acetyl-L-Carnitine and it really raised my TSH.  I started feeling better once I added the supplements and was able to lower my Methimazole dose considerably.
  • Posted

So many people have shoulder problems and then get diagnosed as hyperthyroid. I too had a shoullder op last year. Worked really well and then pain came back and diagnosed hyper. I hope you get your weight sorted out. I have ony been on the anti thyroid drugs for two weeks and so my weight hasn't changed but I guess I have the weight gain to come.
    • Posted

I've been on Levo Thyroxine and Carbimazole for 3 years and haven't re-gained the weight I lost prior to diagnosis.  I lost around 22 lbs and only put back on 3 or 4 lbs when I first started taking the medication.  I look horrendous, skin and bone and no muscles anywhere !  I wish I could put some weight on, I would look better as I was very slim to begin with, so at my age (61) weight loss hasn't done me any favours whatsoever, aged me by about 10 years sad
    • Posted

You poor thing. Being really skinny certainly adds wrinckles because your skin cannot adapt to the weight loss. I too look older since dropping weight. I was always slim and then got diagnosed with depression 5 years ago. I was put on mirtazapine eventually and gained 20 pounds but it masked my thyroid symptoms (depression was actually caused by being hyper). Since coming off I have dropped 27 pounds. I don't look too bad (I am 5'10" and weigh 9st 7 (133 pounds)) but still a bit too thin really. I woulldn't mind gaining a few pounds to look healthier, but don't want to gain too much.
  • Posted

I certainly sympathize with you. I was diagnosed with Graves in November 2015. I'm on 10mg methimazile and had a series of steroid pulse therapy to aid with inflammation around my eyes. Since I gained 40lbs of weight and no matter how much I diet and exercise the stays there. I have all these beutiful clothes hanging in my closet that I cant even wear. Just know that your not alone in your struggle. We are here to support each other.  Take care
    • Posted

Since I was diagnosed my TSH was low but now within normal range, my T3 & T4 were high for only one month, my second round of blood test everything is within normal limits.  I go back next week.  I am hoping they can lower my dose.  I am a person who does not enjoys having to take medication.  I understand if it is needed for health reason but just don't like it.  I also have Crohn's disease which is another auto immune condition and I do everything in my power not to be on medication for that.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.